Chapter Twelve

Louis’ POV

For weeks now, we’ve been receiving death threats by this “anonymous” person. They’re not exactly anonymous since we know who is sending us these things. It’s no secret that Nat and River are behind this. The police have been trying to track down where these letters are coming from; they even have the post offices monitoring where come from. It’s almost like the letters come out of thin air.

Lately, I found myself thinking of ways to win Harry over like I did 15 years ago, but that seems like such a long time ago. Maybe Harry hasn’t changed much since then. Oh, wow, I’m just kidding myself. Of course he has changed. I mean he’s 31 years old for Pete’s sake, of course he’s going to be different. I sigh out loud and look around the kitchen. It’s only 7 in the evening.

I imagine that Larry is working to support the new baby he’s going to have. Ellie and Evan are with Niall and his family for a while. As for Brent and Trent, Harry hasn’t let them out of his sight. Liam and Danielle decided to let Harry adopt them since they noticed how protective he has been so no harm will come to the young five year olds. I bite my lip, trying not to imagine the harm that could happen if they’re back into the hands of Nat.

I take in a deep breath and walk towards my bedroom that Harry has been using for a long time. On the way, I hear whispering coming from the room Brent and Trent are staying in. It’s not just two small whispers, but there’s an adult whisper. I peek through the cracked door to see what is going on in the fairly large room.

I quickly notice Brent’s bright red hair leaning against someone’s chest while on the bed he shares with his brother. His eyes are slightly closed, telling me he’s on the brink of falling asleep. My eyes shift to the right side of Brent. Trent sucks his thumb while his eyes stare up, looking at the person holding him close. I hear the person whisper a story about love. I move my eyes up the body that holds the five year twins. I’m not surprised to find Harry holding them and telling them a story that I’m not able to decipher.

I listen to Harry’s low, rumbling voice tell the story. Slowly, but surely, I watch Brent and Trent start to fall asleep listening to Harry. Ending the story briefly, Brent makes a request that not only shocks Harry, but me as well.

“Daddy, can you sing us a song?” His little voice sleepily requests. His blue eyes stares into Harry’s emerald green eyes, waiting an answer. I watch Harry bite his lip and nod, adding a quiet ‘sure’ to the mix.

Harry clears his throat and starts singing, “You'll never love yourself half as much as I love you.You'll never treat yourself right, darling, but I want you to. If I let you know I'm here for you. Maybe you'll love yourself like I love you, oh,” He pauses for a second, then continues on with the song we used to declare as ‘our song’, “And I've just let these little things slip out of my mouth. 'Cause it's you, Oh, it's you, It's you they add up to, And I'm in love with you. And all these little things.”

I can’t help but stare at Harry in adornment once he finishes the song. Brent and Trent sleep against his chest, snuggling close. Harry sighs, kisses their heads, then shifts them around to lay them in their bed. He pulls a cover over them, then whispers an ‘I love you’ to them. My mind instantly feels guilty. I’ve only seen him do this to Larry a handful of times when he was young. I’ve cut him off from being apart his biological son’s life, all because I didn’t want to admit my feelings towards him.

The door flies open, almost hitting me in the face. Harry stands there with a confused expression amongst his face. He tilts his head to the side before talking, “What are you doing out here, Louis?”

I bite my lip, painfully close to drawing blood, before looking down, not wanting to look him in the eyes when I answer, “I was going to my room when I heard whispering coming from the twins’ room. I wanted to see what was happening. I guess you could say I was eavesdropping without actually knowing.” I mumble the last part quietly. I feel Harry put a finger under my chin, lifting it up slightly so I look at him in the eyes.

He’s always been taller than me, I know that. I never fully realized that he grew much taller from the last time we dated. I take in a deep breath and take a chance to look at his face. I can see him argue with himself about something. I’m not sure what about, but I intend to find out.

Before I can ask him what is wrong, the doorbell rings a few times. Harry turns around and walks rather quickly to the door. I follow closely behind him, wondering who would be coming by at this time of day. Harry opens the door, and there’s a letter hanging from the top of the roof by a string.

Harry snatches and runs to the kitchen. I close the door and walk towards him. By the time I get there, his face is mortified. He looks in deep shock just staring at the letter. I grab it from him and I can already tell this isn’t good. The letter has cut out magazine letters on top of a picture of Jay, Brent, and Trent. I read the letter carefully, “The time has come to be taken,

Starts with a Thompson.” I gulp and stare at how such a horrible threat that is to make in this time of paranoia.

I hear a loud crash, then two loud screams. Harry snaps out of his trance and bolts up the stairs. This isn’t good at all.

-----

[A/N] Hey guys! Cliffhanger! I’m sorry I haven’t updated in FOREVER! It legit has been forever. Pretty much almost FOUR months without an update! Sorry about that! Writers block has not been kind to me, but I have beaten now! Hopefully I’ll update this weekend again! Anyways, I hope y’all liked this update and on the side there is the threat letter.