-Eighteen-

A/N: I can't remember when any smut starts (lol) so just be aware for it in the future because I'm a lazy fucking bitch whose brain is too squiffy right now to search for it and mark it accordingly. But you have been warned, lol. 

20th October, 1944

"You're an idiot. An actual real life idiot. Why didn't you tell me you'd done this? Or Gene? Or Spina? Look at the state of your arm now, you stupid Mick," Evelyn was berating Babe. The daft fool had managed to keep it hidden from everyone that he had cut his arm open in the shelling at Son a couple of days previously. Now the wound had gotten dirt in it, causing his arm to start to swell and look red and sore.

"I take great offence at that Evelyn Guarnere," Malarkey piped up indignantly. "I thought I was the stupid Mick of this company? And now I hear you trying to pass my glory on to someone else? Disgraceful."

"Yeah, you are our stupid Mick, Malark" she answered, trying her best to clean at the angry, weeping wound. She raised an eyebrow at Babe when he hissed, resisting the urge to tell him to stop being such a baby. "But Babe here might just be catching up to you. I honestly can't believe you didn't think to tell any of us about this when you first did it."

"Well it was just a tiny cut," Babe exclaimed, feeling the way he used to when his mom would tell him off for something as a kid. Who the hell was he kidding? Up until the day he left for training his mom was still telling him off for stuff. In truth, being told off as a grown up was actually worse than being told off as a kid. "I didn't think it would cause that much of a problem."

"Yeah, well remember what I told you the other day in the plane about thinking?" she reminded him, and he smiled reluctantly. "I think this needs lancing," she decided with a sigh.

"What the hell does that mean?" her brother frowned, peering at the cut and thinking it didn't look too bad. Personally, he thought she was making a mountain out of a molehill. But then again, that was something his sister did about most things.

"Means he needs to go to an aid station," she muttered.

"Well there ain't one of them nearby."

"I know that," she rolled her eyes. Talk about stating the obvious, moron. "There's one back near Son though. I'll go and sort out a ride. You wait there and think long and hard about whether you've got any more hidden injuries that need sorting." She saw George grin and open his mouth to make some sort of comment that she just knew was going to be rude, but she quickly shut him down with a warning glare. "Open your mouth to say so much as one word George Luz and it'll be the last word you ever say."

"Christ, your sister is scary," Babe frowned at Bill, cradling his arm as Evelyn stomped off in search of a truck.

"You haven't seen anything," Skip snorted. "That was pretty mild compared to some of the telling offs I've seen her give to Bill or the other guys. You got off lightly, Heffron."

"Yeah if you say so," Babe muttered. He wasn't so sure himself. For a girl who looked so small and sweet, she didn't half have a fiery nature.

... ... ...

Babe returned later that day, his arm having been lanced and now bandaged; his minor wound caught just before it could start to become majorly infected. It had certainly opened Babe's eyes to the fact that, out in the field, even a minor injury could turn into something potentially life threatening without proper care and attention. No wonder Evelyn had been so annoyed with him. When he found everyone else, they were all packing up, looking like they were ready to move out at any minute. And apparently they were. The Dutch resistance had heard rumours that the Germans were planning on bombing Eindhoven that night to catch the Americans unawares. Colonel Sink, upon hearing this news, had given the order that they were to carry on immediately towards a place called Nuenen as there just wasn't the air or fire support available to help them if the rumours were proved to be true.