Part 23: Sisterhood

Start from the beginning

While walking through the huge, lavishly decorated entryway, she suddenly sees people turning around to them, sees them whispering at each other from the corner of her eye, sees them pointing at her.

"Ignore them!" Taryn smirks and takes her hand.

Anya can't help but miss Kyun at this moment. He would've made her feel safe, and powerful.

When they arrive in the living room, the news that she is here seems to have spread and almost everyone is looking at her. Only the music stopping abruptly would've made this more awkward.

God, why did she say yes to this?

"Jesus, don't be such vultures!" A voice groans from somewhere. "Keep on partying, don't act like lunatics!"

The voice comes closer as it speaks, and the next moment, she sees the person behind it.

Oh, damn.

Oh, fuck!

It's Kihyun!

"Taryn, Anya!" Kihyun walks up to them, his brown hair slicked back, wearing a loose red jacket that reveals more of his chest than she expected from him and this dangerously gorgeous smile on his face.

"Wow, I can't believe you finally made her come!" he says to her sister before looking at Anya. "It's been a while!"

Shyly, she nods. "Yeah, quite a while..."

She has a hard time getting her emotions under control. If she'd known he was the host...

"Make yourself comfortable!" Kihyun says. "We have snacks and drinks! Make yourself at home!"

Smiling, he passes them and greets a few other people and Anya turns around to her sister. "You didn't tell me Kihyun is the host of this party!" she snarls in a low voice and her sister shrugs.

"Would you have come if I told you?"

"Of course not!" She looks at her angrily.

God, Kihyun humiliated her to the core when they were fifteen!

"That's why I didn't tell you!" Taryn explains and takes her hand again. "Kihyun's cool, I can't believe he'd do what you said he did. Come with me!"

Anya doesn't like this. She doesn't like this at all. But she can't go home now. Kihyun would know it's because of him and she doesn't wanna give this son of a bitch that satisfaction!

So she takes a deep breath and lets her sister pull her to the bar. They each get a drink and sit down in the huge living space where the music is less loud.

Kihyun is so busy taking care of his guests that it takes thirty minutes before she spots him again. This calms her.

"Yesterday..." Taryn takes a sip of her drink. "Did something happen between you and Will?"

Anya tenses. It was foolish of her to think her sudden tiredness last night after Will's attack stayed unnoticed.

Still, she plays dumb and says, "What do you mean?"

"I don't know!" She shrugs. "You both left so quickly after bringing out the dishes and Will's behavior in general has been super weird lately."

Of course his behavior has been weird considering what his future looks like. She's still furious about the way he acted, but she gets it. Kyun was right—fear brings out the worst in people. 

"You should've heard the way he reacted when Dad told him you're gonna come to Christmas." She cringes while staring into nothingness.

Then she looks at Anya and the artist can't help but smile. She has their mom's bright-brown eyes and her full lips and their dad's nose and smile. It's crazy how a person can be such a perfect symbiosis of two people.