🜃 | the day my nonexistent life changed completely

Start from the beginning

Not to mention Kai wasn't sharing anything. He barely even spoke, actually. So it appeared there was no way for Cole to understand what was going on until they get wherever Kai wanted to go.

The whole monastery was silent except for the occasional warnings Kai gave him. Not that they really mattered – if he fell, Kai was going to be his safety pillow and that was good enough of a revenge for Cole so far.

And then he felt the cold air hit him in the face and Cole shivered, since going outside was the last thing he expected that night.

"Honey, what are you doing?" he asked once again, this time with his voice calmer than before; softer than before. He felt him move, he felt him take his hands and put them down. He felt Kai walk behind him just like before which surely must've meant he was going to be freed of the blindfold soon and Cole's insides swirled in anticipation. He wasn't sure whether to be worried or excited. He heard cracking nearby.

But Kai's hands lingered there, behind his head and the blindfold remained in its spot.

"You know what day it is going to be in two minutes?" he whispered and Cole's breath hitched.

"Is this–?" Kai took agonizingly long with the knot. He felt his hands brush the back of his neck which made him shiver probably even more than the cold did but the blindfold was still keeping him in the dark. "Kai." He didn't even know what he wanted to say, the word just hung in there.

"Happy birthday, love."

And the blindfold fell to his feet, freeing his eyes so he could see the scene in front of them. On the snowy hill, there was a campfire. A long wooden log was waiting there for them, along with a basket and some blankets. The snow – some of which melted in a certain radius around the fire – reflected the light like thousands of twinkling lights. The dark sky watched over them, the stars as if they were made of little piles of the glistening snow.

"Kai..."

"I thought we might roast some marshmallows, hm? Have some s'mores?"

Cole chuckled and turned to him. He caught his hands that he lowered after his movement. "Kai, it's January."

"And? I have an endless supply of fire right here, I can keep us both warm." Kai pointed with a thumb to the left side of his chest. "And I brought some blankets too. Plus your whole thing is wearing ridiculously light outfits in the worst weather, so I don't see your problem?"

Kai used the fact that Cole was holding his hands and pulled him towards the campfire, never breaking eye contact despite walking backwards. Cole wanted to warn him but the red ninja was faster to speak. "I've got some more snacks ready, I've got a cake ready and I've got a big surprise ready in about two hours."

"But that's around–"

"That's exactly at the time you were born, yes."

"How long were you planning this?"

"Whatever, you want some roasted marshmallows or no?"

Cole watched as he ran to the basket and began pulling out things from it. Some sandwiches, a pack of marshmallows, biscuits, a thermos... A lot of things. He walked over and sat down on the log next to him, watching the inventory in amazement. But something seemed to be missing.

"Didn't you mention cake?"

"I did," Kai replied. "But that will have to wait." He stuck a few marshmallows on two sticks and handed one of them to Cole with a smile that surely was sweeter than those white puffs of sugar. "I could roast them myself quickly and effectively but where's the fun in that?"