"Maa, please don't be like this. You'll be alone in that house. If you don't like moving in with me atleast ask Samarth and Naira to be with you."

"I already have asked them."

So she doesn't wanna move in with me. I killed her husband anyway. I would under why she would choose so.

"Be careful, okay. Take your medications on time. Don't walk around at night alone. Take care of yourself." I spoke feeling a little bad.

"Veer. The house must feel empty for one person to live in."

"It surely does, now that you don't wanna move in with me. It's fine."

"Get married, Veer." She spoke and my eyes shot open. She continued, "you must be feeling alone right now. You used to say that you don't want to get married because you would risk that person's life. Now, you can marry now, right?"

Its funny whenever the word marriage comes up Shrishti is the first person to come to my head. Perhaps, I didn't wanna marry anyone but her. So sure, that I didn't think of anyone else.

"I have picked a few girls. Good women. Pick from them. I'll send you the pictures." Mom spoke again...

I sighed and stood up, looking out of the window, "Okay, Maa. I will."

Moving on is definitely not easy. That too over a person you loved dearly. Time and time again...whoever I marry, I will treat her like I would've treated Shrishti if she was mine. That is something that needs work.

...

It's difficult to deal with certain things. Certain emotions. Feeling the loss of a person is something I always thought was not too hard to love on from. But having experienced it for a while now, I can disagree with the latter statement.

I sat on my bed in my new bedroom having taken a bath. My phone pinged thrice and twice again. I dried my hair with a towel while looking at the phone.

It was Naira. Who was sendind me the pictures of women mom had picked. I looked at each one and sighed. Still unsure.

I went out to my living room. I opened a bottle of wine that I had for over three years. I poured myself a glass and downed the whole glass. Then again, poured another.

I looked at the mantle and walked over to it. Jai...that moron had dropped off a framed picture. Of Shrishti and me. I don't even know why I kept it. It was from the time I was injured in China.

I so vividly remember the day. The picture reflected that so well. We were smiling at each other. A small one. A sad one even but we looked happy. Even it was for a moment and Jai had captured it just right.

No point looking at it now. I sighed and picked it up off the mantle and set it down in a carton box with all the other stuff I was disposing of.

I started paying attention to the pictures of the women mom had sent me. Might as well settle down now.

I found myself taking interest in one of them. She was decent looking. She was a business person as well. We wouldn't have to run into each other a lot. We both would be busy.

I dialled my mom this time. Not Naira. She would be putting Lekha to bed now. After dialling for what felt like an eternity, she picked up.

"Maa." I spoke into the phone.

"Have you decided?"

"Before that. Are you mad at me?"

"Why would you think that?"

"You know, dad...and all that..."

"I am not mad at you, Veer. I'm rather proud. You were ready to take him down even if he was your father. I'm really grateful for the man you have become. A little naive at times, a little cold, a little foolish but a good human all the while."

"Thank you Maa, and Sorry."

"That aside, now. Did you decide on who you wanna marry?"

"Yes I have, the thir-" my words stopped as the phone was ripped out of my hand. I turned around angry and alert to hit someone if I needed to.

My breath stopped.

"Shrishti..."

She smirked at me and pulled the phone to her ear, "Maa, I'm hurt that you didn't consider me as a suitor for your son."

🗝️

Curve ball.
Okay, I'll leave now. Vote if you liked it. And comment if you enjoyed the chapter.
Bye.