New Summer, New Me

Start from the beginning

Despite the crowd, it's easy to spot Eunice.

Her outfit is dark and simple, as though she is trying to blend in with the trees behind her. Her locs are longer than I remember; they stream down her shoulders now. As she looks around for me, she hunches and stuffs her hands in her pockets. In a pride event full of celebration and joy, her awkwardness sticks out like a sore thumb.

I trot over to her. "Hey."

"Oh." Her smile is small but genuine. "Hey, Lia."

"Good to see you. I'm glad you're here. I didn't... expect that, I guess."

Indeed, a pride event is the last place I would've expected to see Eunice, and I was slightly afraid she could be here to protest. But there is no sign of her doing that... yet.

"Yeah, I was in the area..." She lowers her head and kicks a pebble. "I, uh, got your letter, Lia."

A strange mix of emotions dances inside me. "Oh," is all I manage to say.

"Thank you for that... for- for reaching out, I mean." She lets out a shaky breath, still not looking at me. "I know it doesn't seem like it, but I... Well, I missed you too. I didn't mean to ghost you, I was just... struggling..."

This time, I am unable to utter any sound. Struggling? She's struggling? I did nothing to her other than... existing as myself.

"I talked to a lot of people," she mumbles, "I read a lot. I went to a lot of different churches to get more perspectives. I'm sorry it took me so long, Lia, but it's been tough trying to reconcile my beliefs, my thoughts, my faith... But I value our friendship a lot, and I don't want to hurt you again."

She raises her head and our eyes meet.

"I'm taking that chance you offered," she says. "I want to talk. I want to be friends again. Is that still possible, Lia?"

And in that moment, I see the Eunice I used to love. The gentle smile I used to trust with all my heart. The dark brown eyes I used to get lost in.

I see my friend.

She's back.

"Of course." I break into a smile. "Hey, a group of my friends are hanging out. Do you want to join us? Mariah Carey is performing soon."

"I know. She's such a queen." Eunice chuckles. "But it's okay, Lia. You should enjoy yourself with your friends. I'll catch up with you more next time. I just figured I'll find you during my summer break, and I knew you'd be here." She gestures around and chuckles more. "Oh, right, here, have this." Digging into her pocket, she takes out a bar bracelet with a lesbian flag imprinted. "I think this is the right flag for you? But the colors are the best, so I thought it'll be perfect anyway."

My heart warms, and I pull her into a hug. "This is perfect. Thank you, Eunice."

She returns the embrace. "Thank you for the letter," she whispers.

We talk for a few more minutes before bidding farewell. I watch as Eunice ambles away, her hands in her pocket. She still looks like she's trying to fade away into the crowd, to dissociate from this event.

It's weird. So weird. We haven't spoken for more than a year, and I am happy we are now—this is what I was hoping for, after all—but there is still a small layer of discomfort underneath everything. Perhaps the year apart has changed us both too much.

As I turn around to return to my friends, I see Yeju waiting for me a few feet away. She gives me a sheepish smile and jogs toward me.

"Hey, I told you to stay!" I chide.

"I know, but I was worried." She glances in the direction Eunice left. "Did she say anything mean to you? Do I need to throw hands?"

"Yeju, come on!" I try to sound angry, but laughter takes over me.

"Don't laugh! I mean it. I can still catch her if you tell me to. Just say the word."

"I'd rather you stay here," I say, wrapping my arms around her waist, "and kiss me."

Her eyes widen, but her body softens. "Okay," she whispers.

This woman is ridiculous. She is so fiery and passionate, always so ready and willing to fight for me, or for anyone she loves. At the same time, she is the gentlest person I know, as she cups her hands around my neck and plants the sweetest kiss on me.

There is nobody like Yeju in the world.

And as we kiss at the gayest event of the year, I vow to hold her close to me forever.

***

The End