Pulling punches

I await Satoru standing by his car after school. He said he had to grab something from the cafe and it's now been 20 minutes as I grow impatient. Ever since I came home to my window having been smashed, I've felt on edge and as if I should be more cautious. I've also had the constant feeling that something is watching me (however cliché it may sound) and just waiting for the opportunity to attack. I feel a sudden tap and my shoulder and jump backwards in surprise.

"Wow, it's just me." Satoru says as I let out a sigh of pure relief. I see that he's holding two iced chai lattes which is what he must have gone to get. He holds one of them with an outstretched arm towards me, "For you."

"Oh sorry, you just made me jump." I respond as I take the coffee and thank him.

"Yeah I got that." He says with a laugh. "What did I say though? You're safe with me." I give him a grateful smile as he winks at me, but can't shake the uneasy feeling. "Speaking of safety..." he begins as we get in the car "I was wondering if you wanted to try some sparring tonight?"

"Hmm, sure." I reply looking out of the car window as Satoru drives off. "Where would we do it?"

"I own a private gym and shut it on Thursdays for myself anyway." Of course he does. "So we can just go there any time tonight."

"That would be useful. I've felt... uneasy ever since that evening, I don't know why."

"Well knowing someone is directly targeting you is sure to rattle a few nerves, that's the aim. But you'll get used to it." His phrasing reminds me that he has most likely had to deal with such threats day in day out. He's gone through so much.

"Thank you." Is all I can say back. It feels as if I'm always handing Satoru hollow thank yous. Despite all the pain he's caused me in the past, he does things which counteract it. His actions juxtapose each other every time, one minute he's making me cry and the next I'm eternally grateful to him in ways I can't even express through words.

We arrive back home after a long day of work and I flop down onto his couch exhausted. I'm woken up a couple of hours later by someone calling my name and as my eyes flutter open my gaze meets his. Not wanting to be woken up from my rest yet, I roll over onto my front, pushing my head into the cushioned arm of the sofa to gain just a minute's more peace.

"What's in the bag?" I hear Satoru say.

"What bag?" I reply, face still in the cushion. Suddenly he shoves two hands under me and flips me over onto my back again so I'm forced to look up at him. Looking at what he's holding, I see what he's referencing to is the paper bag I came home with carrying my new uniform that I picked up from Jujutsu Tech today. "It's my new uniform." I say about to roll back onto my stomach once again but Satoru stops me with one of his free hands.

He pulls out the skirt part of my uniform and holds it up. It's similar to the skirt I'm currently wearing, but has pleats instead of being a pencil and is a bit shorter. Satoru gives me a wide grin, "You're going to look really good in that." He says and I roll my eyes in response, successfully flipping onto my front this time and stuffing my head back into the cushion. I hear him set the bag down by me and walk over to the kitchen area. "Are you still up to go sparring tonight?" He asks me which makes me prop myself up and peer over the back of the sofa at him.

I see him pull a bottle of water out of the fridge and tilt his head back to take a sip, his throat moving as he gulps down the liquid. I have to tear my gaze away before he sees me and I've been completely distracted from what he just asked me.

"Um, yes sure." I respond, hoping he said something to which that was an appropriate response and I curse myself for being so touch deprived.

"Okay, I'll ring up the staff and tell them to close early so we can have the place to ourselves."