Chapter 27: A Bond in Darkness

The symbol of the Condor floated high above New Domino City. The glyph's fuchsia fires intensified with the start of the Shadow Duel and threw violet onto the blanket of black clouds. I stood at the etching of the Condor's splayed tail feathers. Far across at the beak towered the Stairway to the Dragon Star.

Rex Godwin faced me from its apex. His dark eyes caught the bright red from his crimson sign. We both fanned out our hands of cards and raised our voices in a shout:

"DUEL START!"

I said, "Since I am the accepter, I'll take the first move!"

Oh? commented the Crimson Dragon. Since when do you choose to move first?

Since I have no fears. My Field Spell slot sliced open. "I activate the Seal of Orichalcos! This indestructible Field Spell adds 500 attack points to my monsters, and I can use my back row for summoning!"

The Seal locked us in its circle. The wicked green light outshone the Dark Signer fires. "I'll summon Luster Dragon in attack mode, set one face-down, and end my turn."

Sapphire sparkled on my dragon's hide. His 1900 attack increased to 2400. Godwin added a sixth card to his hand. "Since you have a monster and I have none, I can special summon level 5 Oracle of the Sun. Its effect lets me add level 3 Fire Ant Ascator to my hand, who I will now summon. I tune them both to Synchro Summon my level 8 Signer Dragon, Sun Dragon Inti!"

A headdress-wearing chief waved a staff of white feathers, and a giant red ant appeared beside him. The chief slammed his staff into the ground, and green rings surrounded the two monsters. A red dragon with four necks protruding from a central sun emerged from the portal. The Signer Dragon's 3000 attack overshadowed my monster.

"I activate the effect of Weeping Idol, banishing Fire Ant Ascator from the graveyard to special summon it. I also pay 1000 life points to special summon Dark Tuner - Dark Goddess Witaka! I use Witaka's effect to copy the level of my Sun Dragon Inti and change the levels to negative. Level 2 Weeping Idol and negative level 8 Witaka inverse align to Dark Synchro Summon Moon Dragon Quilla!"

The sun's matching dragon appeared in a wash of silver. Its roar showed off its 2500 attack. Seeing a Signer Dragon and Dark Synchro in tandem was both sickening and awe-inspiring.

"Sun Dragon Inti destroys Luster Dragon, and Moon Dragon Quilla attacks directly!" Flames tore through Luster Dragon and the true damage reached me, lowering my life to 3400. The Dark Synchro shot blue flames alongside it, and they mixed together to consume me in the fuchsia flames of the Dark Signers. My life points fell to 900. Godwin burst into laughter. "The Signers are doomed!"

The flames cleared, and my skin wasn't seared. Godwin gaped at me. I murmured, "It's a good thing I didn't bring my ice cream."

"The fire didn't affect you?" he exclaimed. Composure swiftly returned to him. "You don't have what it takes to duel me, girl. We stand on uneven ground! I have the blessing of the Crimson Dragon and the dark god. I end my turn. At End Phase, Moon Dragon Quilla destroys itself."

I dusted cinders off my cloak. "The Crimson Dragon hasn't blessed you."

"Oh, but it has. Watch!" The red signs glimmered and disappeared from the Signers' arms. They then shone upon Godwin's chest as the full mark of the Crimson Dragon. He laughed, saying, "This is the true strength of a god!"

"Right. Yep. Uh-huh. I'm sure the Crimson Dragon is crazy about you. My turn!" I smiled at the draw. "I activate the effect of The Fang of Critias, sending it and the trap I drew, Tyrant Wing, to the graveyard. They combine to special summon Tyrant Burst Dragon! My buddy here will destroy your Signer Dragon!"