message in a bottle

Harry hadn't called her. A week has gone by and nothing.

Maybe he just didn't want to seem desperate.

Maybe he didn't like her at all.

But no matter what, Isabel found herself sitting in front of a piece of paper with a pen in hand.

Harry,

I had not anticipated actually mailing you, yet here I am writing you this letter. I'd like to apologize in advance as I have not written a letter since I was in primary school.

Since driving you, Ron, and Herminey, my longest trip has been 25 minutes across town- nothing close to our endeavor to Devon. Yet, the trip to Devon was fun, and I find myself continually thinking about it as the days go on. That other trip across town consisted of a young couple and a screaming baby. They didn't even have a car seat, just held him. Looks like I'm going to have to use that Devon money into investing in my own.... I don't want to get fined for having a baby out of a car seat. Although neglect from the parents would hopefully be a much higher crime. At one point the mother had handed the baby off and the father looked as if he had never held him before. I see far too many men who have little part in their children's lives. But the baby ended up peeing while he held him- terrible for me who was stuck in the cabbie the rest of the day, but also quite funny.

I hope you all are doing alright. Send Herminey and Ron my best wishes.

-Isabel Moreno

***********

Harry didn't have a cell phone. The Weasley's didn't have a house phone. And the closest pay phone was a few miles away in a muggle town, so he could hardly fly his broom over.

So Harry had to wait until he was going home to his godmother's house. Which was supposed to be the day after they returned to Devon.

It has since been over a week.

Harry was desperate to call Isabel, even just her work phone. As soon as he arrived to the house he raced to her telephone, but Adeline Lupin's voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Someone sent you a letter."

Harry's heart flipped as he changed course for the kitchen and saw a letter with his name on it.

He tore it open and read over its contents. He laughed at her attempted spelling of Hermione and her description of the family she drove around.

But most important, was the single line in the middle of the letter saying that "I find myself continually thinking about it as the days go on."

She was thinking about it too.

Harry could have jumped for joy at seeing the letter and sprinted up to his room to write his own.

Isabel,

I am terribly sorry for the lack of a phone call.

Harry debated telling the truth and looking like a bum without a phone.

I went to phone you just the other day and could not find your business card anywhere. I'd gratefully appreciate it if you were to send me a new one? You never know when you might need a cabbie. But I was elated to see your letter arrive, I thought I may have lost you forever.