thirty two

Abby is beyond upset that she doesn't get to stay with Clarke the whole time.

Yes, they got five hours together and did everything they could and all of Clarke's friends even gave up a whole two hours of these five hours so Abby could be with Clarke alone, but it's still not enough. She supposes it can never be enough.

Her face is covered in tears, although she initially wanted to keep her composure for Clarke. Still- there cannot be a more terrible thing than to lose one's husband and one's daughter so closely together. There cannot be a more terrible thing than outliving one's entire family.

It's not like it's set in stone that Clarke will die, but at this point of the illness, there's only a slim chance of the treatment working, and it involves that the patient fights for it. It also, sadly, involves a night of sleep, and once Clarke has her sleep medicine, being bothered or waken up might disrupt the actual medicine working.

So Abby obviously leaves. She already feels like she disappointed her daughter badly enough- failing to save Jake. Sending her down to Earth and failing to follow up soon. Giving her child the responsiblity of a leader. Making her think her mother is dead, before having to retrieve her as a hostage of the Grounders. Not being able to change that she had to sleep in the Heda's tent. Not being able to prevent her being sent to battle, an unexperienced girl of barely 18. Not finding a cure that might've saved her life.

So, the least she can do is leave the tent in time for the treatment to work. Despite wanting more time, she has no problem with that at all.

-

Do you know what Abby Griffin does have a problem with, though?

Hearing, after a sleepless night, that Clarke survived and is feeling much better and not being able to see her.

Raven, Octavia, Bellamy and the rest are in respectful distance to the tent already, as widely apart as the night before (which isn't enough according to the quarantine standards but at least they're all wearing cloths over their mouths and noses) and apparently waiting to see Clarke as well.

"Why can't we go? Jackson says it worked, that it healed her well, and I don't get to see her?" Abby asks immediately.

"My words! And I would get it if she asked for some alone time after a near death experience, or if the treatment said she needs more rest, but do you know the reason?" Raven spits.

"The guards only sent me Jackson, they didn't tell me anything."

"It's because the Heda was there first," Bellamy explains, his voice calm and grounding, but it's obvious he's on edge too.

"Yeah, she woke up from almost dying and days of feeling terrible and the Commander intrudes thinking it's time for what, fucking politics?" Octavia snaps with crossed arms and a hateful glare to the tent, like she could kill the Heda through the canvas by looks.

"What? You're kidding. I thought I was never going to see my daughter ever again and here you come telling me I do and then the Heda thinks the war is important? Yeah, fuck that. Not in my lifetime she won't."

"You can't do anything though-"

"Yeah? Watch me." Infuriated, Abby stomps up the small path to the Heda's tent. The Arker's guards that are positioned there don't mind, and the Grounder guards might be slightly intimidated or might think that she's allowed in, since she's a doctor.

Abby pushes the tent flap to the side, entering, ready to give the Heda a mouthful of her opinion about the importance of war and politics, when any words get stuck in her throat.