Chapter 63-64

Chapter 63

Xu Nianyun's words successfully dispelled Yun Xiaolu's "ambition." Suddenly, she felt that living in a brick and tile house wasn't such a big deal.

But perhaps it was the understanding between father and daughter. When Yun Haisheng returned from the western mountains, he not only brought back more than twenty kilograms of cotton on his back but also brought back a tractor-trailer full of bricks. Yun Haisheng himself even hitched a ride on the tractor.

Zhao Yueji looked at those red bricks with surprise and confusion. Yun Haisheng didn't mention this before he left.

"Their commune just built a brick kiln. I found out through a casual conversation when I went there. These bricks were fired, but they don't have much demand. They can be bought for as low as six cents per brick, and there's still plenty in stock. So, I ordered six thousand bricks plus eight hundred roof tiles."

Upon hearing this number, Zhao Yueji widened her eyes in shock. "Are we going to rebuild the main house with this many bricks?"

To build both the main house and the auxiliary buildings, it would take at least six to seven hundred bricks. There weren't many households in their commune who could afford a brick and tile house.

"I've been thinking these past few days. Our children probably won't come back to live in the future. In fact, we don't really want them to come back. So, this old house will be where you and I live until we grow old. When our eldest daughter gets married, we can rebuild it once again. It will be more comfortable for our daughters. Once they're all married off, what's the point of having a new big house?"

The reason Yun Haisheng decided on this was also because he suddenly felt that their children would fly away in the future. While their daughter was still by their side, they should let them enjoy a few more years of carefree days.

"Alright, I'll listen to you. Our family has saved money, and our daughters have contributed a lot. We can't wait for them to get married to have a house to live in. Besides, our family can afford it."

The brigade leader's family built their house two years ago using a mix of adobe and red bricks. It was already considered a good house in the surrounding villages. Who would have thought that this year, they would directly build a house entirely with bricks and tiles?

"They will come to deliver more bricks and tiles tomorrow. Our construction start date will remain the same in three days. We can give the adobe bricks we previously made to other villagers who want to build houses. Tomorrow, I'll talk to the carpenter again to discuss the dimensions of the furniture. If we're going to change, let's change everything to new ones. We'll also install glass windows this time."

Yun Xiaolu returned home on Saturday afternoon after school and saw two piles of red bricks and tiles arranged at the doorstep before entering.

She stood at the entrance for a while, then murmured uncertainly to Xu Nianyun, "I didn't exchange the bricks and tiles while sleep-talking, did I?"

Xu Nianyun looked at the points that remained intact and confidently replied, "No, you didn't."

"What's going on? Are my parents and I on the same wavelength?"

Excitedly, Yun Xiaolu stepped through the front gate and saw that the space where the four main rooms used to be was now bare.

"Mom, are we going to rebuild the main house too?" Yun Xiaolu saw Zhao Yueji coming from the backyard and immediately asked her question.

"Yes, your dad thinks it's best to get everything done at once during this construction so we don't have to go through the trouble later."

"Are you hungry? We'll eat in the backyard. We've been cooking there these past few days." Zhao Yueji took her daughter's school bag and led her to wash her hands and have a meal.

The Learning System is My Misunderstood DaughterOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara