Shanty Marcel

“Though I have a plan and I assure you that this will be a lit.”

Detective Raj looked at Shanty Marcel. George wanted to take Shanty’s suggestion into consideration. He really had no idea where to start and he was willing to risk it all just so he could find Celeste. At isa pa, Celeste’s lover doesn’t seem to care about her. Wala pa rin kasi itong ginagawa hanggang ngayon upang mahanap si Celeste. Wala rin ata itong planong magsumbong sa awtoridad nang malaman kung ano ang naging sanhi ng biglaang pagkawala ni Celeste. Kaya si Raj na ang gumawa ng paraan para mahanap agad ang babaeng sinisinta.

“You don’t have a lead, do you, detective? So, bakit hindi mo ikonsidera ang suhestiyon ko? There’s nothing to lose betting your cards on me, Detective Raj.”

Should Detective Raj take the risk and bet his card to this woman? Kaya niya bang harapin ang epekto nito sa kanyang propesyon? But what if this person only drags him down? Imbes na malaman ang katotohanan, paano kung hilahin siya nito palayo sa sagot na pilit niyang hinahanap? What if Shanty Marcel was just confusing him and when the time came that he found out about everything, it was already too late? What about all the backlash that will happen after putting his trust to this woman? But if Shanty Marcel was the key he needed to unveil everything, he should grab this opportunity.

Ginulo ni Raj ang sariling buhok. Everything was just a mess. He couldn’t find the killer that had been killing the people for the past few months in QC and now Celeste went missing. Hindi alam ni Detective Raj kung saan siya mag-uumpisa. He was lost.

“Your plan… tell me about it,” Raj declared as he stared and Shanty Marcel as if he was digging her flesh.

George slammed his hand on the wall aggressively. “Detective!” sigaw nito.

Detective Raj shook his head. Tumingin ito sa kasamahan niyang si George. Ang kanyang mga mata ay nangungusap. “I’ll just listen to her and deliberately think about what to do next, George. I am a detective after all and I won’t risk anything just to gain nothing. I’m still rational… at least for now.”

Marahas na umiling ang lalaki. “We still have a lead, sir. We may be able to recover the deleted video from the surveillance camera…” anito na agad namang pinabulaanan ng detective.

“And if we don’t? Will you take responsibility if we don’t recover the deleted footage, George?”

George stayed silent. Minutes passed, he sighed and finally nodded his head, accepting his defeat. He ended up agreeing with Detective Raj’s decision.

George might have agreed but there was something about Shanty Marcel that he wasn’t comfortable with. He wasn’t sure if it was just his gut feeling or if Shanty Marcel is indeed a suspicious woman and trusting her wasn’t a good idea.

Shanty Marcel smiled brightly. George groaned. No matter what the woman does, his suspicion of her only rises. How could Shanty smile like that in the midst of this serial murder?

“We have to find the man behind that website, detective.”

Detective Raj stared at Shanty blankly. “Do you take us for a fool?” galit na tanong nito. “We already did that, Ms. Marcel.” The detective crossed his arms in irritation. “Do you have any other bright ideas? Come on… I am sure you have some given that you were so confident earlier.”

Shanty grinned. “You didn’t find anything, did you, detective?” pigil ang tawang tanong ni Shanty na pawang siguradong-sigurado ito sa bawat salitang kanyang binibigkas. “Why don’t we turn the table?” She asked with a sly smile plastered on her face. “No. Let’s turn the table. Let's play his game.”

George rolled his eyes. “How do we do that then, Miss?” sansala nito. “Hindi nga natin mahanap ang taong nasa likod ng pagpatay. Wala tayo kahit na isang lead na nagtuturo kung nasaan nagtatago ang taong ito. Do you think the suspect will just come out to bite the trap if we randomly dig a pit somewhere?” He looked at Shanty mockingly. “That’s a really great idea, Shanty Marcel. It seems that you want to play a game you have no idea what the rules are.”

Shanty sighed ignoring George. Tinignan niya ang tahimik lang na nakikinig na si Raj at muli ay nag-iwas ng tingin. “Motives, relationships, and their mental capacity,” paunang salita ni Shanty bago seryosong tiningnan si Detective Raj. Their eyes met. “Investigating their capabilities in technology and how much they know about it might help… after all, the man who was hiding behind my cousin’s name operated the website smoothly. It’s a big call for many reasons and this includes budget. If you want to find the suspect behind the murder, start with the beginning — the first victim. The person present in the crime scene is a suspect. Everyone who was present at the crime scene are suspects. For example, you, Detective Raj might be the murderer. You are the last person that Celeste talked to before he went missing, aren’t you?”

“Why would I harm the person I like?” Detective Raj asked.

Shanty laughed. “Exactly! That’s the whole point. Why would you do that, detective? She didn’t choose you, am I right? Obsession wouldn’t be an impossible case as to why you would abduct this person.”

Detective Raj cackled. “First offense, trespassing. This is a private property under my name and you barged in without my permission. Second, libel. Although you didn’t make it obvious, you are pointing me as Celete’s abductor. Words are powerful at pwedeng ikasira iyon ng pangalan ko. Pwede kitang kasohan, Shanty Marcel.” His jaw clenched. “Makakaalis ka na.”

Shanty chuckled. “I was just jesting, detective. Why are you taking it seriously? Well, not unless I hit a nerve?”

“Get out.”

Shanty laughed. “But seriously speaking, why don’t you try to investigate everyone? The suspect might just be somewhere near. Naghihintay ng tamang oras kung kailan aatake. That bastard might be your most trusted colleague or the victim’s family. For example, Celeste’s boyfriend. Or it might actually be one of those who lives in that neighborhood. Or maybe the one who’s closest to you right now.”

Author’s Note:
I am back although not for good. College is freaking hard, I'm telling you right now. Maihahalintulad sa isang relasyon, sa una lang pala masaya. Kapag tumagal nakakapagod and you might fail in the midst of it. And I think I am failing in cost accounting, shuta. Walang konek di ba? HAHAHAHA! Good nyt.