Chapter 91: The Beginning

Start from the beginning

As expected, Roth scowled immediately. "Why the hell would I agree to that?"

Akira shrugged, unperturbed. "Because we're the reason we're winning. And not only do we have the proof, but all the credit will go to you."

"Proof?" Roth scoffed. "Don't tell me: you had something to do with Everest suddenly materializing out of the clouds? Only you would be capable of the mess we found inside."

Akira beamed. "Congratulations, sir. You just helped restore one of the natural wonders of the world."

Roth still frowned, but it wasn't as deep as before. "And in exchange, all of you resume your posts with clean slates, I'm guessing."

"I'm sure some of us won't turn down a medal or photo ops with world leaders. Oh, and at least one person wants a statue at their alma mater, but we can work out the finer details later."

"Interesting offer, Dunn," Roth said, clearly humoring her. "But what makes you think the commodore would agree to this? Especially when you snatched one of her lieutenants out from right under her nose."

Akira inhaled deeply. While Elodie had given her permission to use her lineage as leverage, Akira still hesitated to use that knowledge, along with her own past.

But maybe it was what she needed to move forward.

"I have evidence she's been abusing her authority," Akira said. "And while she thinks she has the upper hand on us, you can tell her that we're fine if she spills our secrets. We're ready to finally tell our truths. The only question is, is she willing to risk doing the same?"

This time, Roth remained silent for a minute, studying Akira with narrowed eyes. While Akira usually had an easy time reading his anger, his calmer moods were a different story, and all she could do was wait for his verdict.

Finally, he sighed.

"Alright, Dunn," he said. "You've got a deal."

As Danya handed over the memory chip with their recording of Garza's confession, along with the other findings their team picked up along the way, Akira tapped her earpiece.

"And don't even think about backing out," she said, making a point to direct her earpiece's camera directly on Roth. "Because we'll have evidence of that too."

In a strange turn of events, Roth chuckled.

"Why am I not surprised?" he said, a subtle smirk curving the ends of his mouth.

For a moment, Akira froze with fear, wondering if they just walked into a trap. Sure, the only members of their team at risk would be Akira and Danya; even Victor was safe with the others, his brain much too dangerous to put in the reach of the more questionable members of their military. Still, Akira wasn't keen on being manipulated by another Roth.

But when Danya leaned her shoulder against Akira's arm, Akira knew that no matter how much the world seemed hellbent on dragging them down, together, they could still stand tall.

"I'll be honest with you, Dunn," Roth said. "Ever since you were promoted to captain, I didn't care for you. I'm sure that much was obvious. I figured you were just another spoiled brat using your parent's legacy to move up the chain of command."

With a deep breath, Roth grew solemn.

"You might not know this, but I worked with her when she was in the Army—your mother. I admired her. And I knew that some kid using their parent's name to get ahead was exactly the type of soldier she hated.

"And then you came along, and not only did you look like her, but you sounded and acted just like she did. Your names might have been different, sure, but I still figured you were using the groundwork your mother set to give yourself a boost. And it disgusted me."

With that, he stood up straight, and after watching Akira for a few silent seconds, he slowly nodded.

"But now, I admit it: I was wrong. I was terribly wrong, and I'm sorry. You, Captain Dunn, are your own woman. And I think your mother would be proud to see the person you've become."

Akira couldn't hide her shock from her face. Roth's admission was not at all what she expected when she initially arranged their secret meet-up, and Akira wasn't prepared for the underlying emotions behind his words. Her vision grew blurry before she could stop herself, and she roughly coughed to clear the lump in her throat.

"Thank you, sir," she said with a small smile. "That means a lot to me."

Surprisingly, Roth smiled back. Less surprising was when his expression quickly transformed into a gruff frown.

"But that doesn't mean you're out of trouble yet, Dunn," he grumbled. "I still have to verify this 'proof.' And even if it's good, that doesn't mean you can keep pushing your luck like this. I'm still your commanding officer; I'm still responsible for you."

Even with the return of Roth's characteristic bitterness, Akira still smiled.

"I understand, sir. Thank you, sir."

As they watched Roth and his aircraft hover out of the crater, Akira and Danya resumed their former positions, each with an arm wrapped around the other.

"Somehow, it doesn't feel real," Akira whispered as a gentle breeze drifted around them. "To think this is almost over."

"But it's not over," Danya said. When Akira turned to her, Danya gazed back with a warm smile. "Us? A world without war? It's only just beginning."

Her words took a moment to sink in, but when they finally did, Akira beamed.

"You're right," she said, gently caressing Danya's cheek. "This is only our beginning."

And when they kissed, it was the first one of their new lives.

Ultra Vires: Beyond the Powers