Wattpad Original
There are 57 more free parts

Chapter 31: Fixed Up

To most people in the UN, the operation in Madagascar was an overwhelming success; no one had ever thought a Concordian ally would suddenly switch sides. From what Akira heard, people around the world were overjoyed by the news, and spontaneous celebrations erupted to commemorate the occasion. In their eyes, the scales of war had finally begun to tilt in their favor.

What was lesser known was the true aftermath in Madagascar. Outside of the country, not many realized the mission left sixty-five million people lost and confused, awakening to find they had lost nearly a decade and a half of their lives.

But apparently those details were bad for morale and politics, and the Aegis Squad had their orders: keep their mouths shut and be ready for the next mission.

That was the only reason Akira voluntarily went to Izzy's lab for arm maintenance. Sure, she bet Danya she could go without "divine intervention," but Akira cared less about the wagered dessert than Danya did. Akira had a job to do, and she refused to let her own fears keep her from seeing it through.

And if she took Sam with her for moral support, no one had to know—not even Sam.

"You owe me, you know," Sam reminded Akira for the fifth time as they approached Izzy's lab. "I had plans."

"A lunch date in the mess at this time?" Akira scoffed, hoping it didn't sound tight from her nerves. "All you would hear are the other sailors yelling at each other. I'm doing you a favor."

Sam was quiet for a moment. "No, actually, I was going to the gym. But now I guess my workout routine is Dunn for."

"Hm," was all Akira could say, too focused on maintaining her calm as she entered Izzy's lab.

The Smart Car-doso looked even more cluttered than the last time she was there. Strange metal devices were scattered across the countertops, each varying in size, shape, and cleanliness. Among them, she recognized the nail-like device from Dubai, even in its dissected state; she didn't see the drones from Patna, though she spotted a similar cross-section about twice the size, either in the midst of being assembled or dismantled.

It was tough to say when the only knowledgeable person was slumped over a tall stool in the middle of the lab, his fingertips and toes dragging on the floor as he spun in circles.

"Uh..." Akira began.

When Izzy continued to spin, Akira hesitantly knocked on the metal lab counter.

She should have expected that Izzy would tumble off his chair with a yelp.

"Can't you see I'm busy?" Izzy exclaimed as he tried and failed to untangle his long limbs from his oversized lab coat.

"Sorry," Akira mumbled as she rushed over, though she wasn't sure how to help him when he continued to flail. "I know you said to stop by whenever, but I still should've texted."

At her words, Izzy froze, then turned to her, the bottom of his lab coat somehow covering his head. When he snapped his head back, the white fabric flew off with a bounce of his voluminous afro, and he grinned.

"Captain!" His eyes shifted to Sam with a frown. "And guest."

Sam pouted. "Are you really still mad at me about the uniform? I didn't mean for everyone to follow me here."

Izzy huffed. "Maybe if you weren't so muscular, you'd be able to maintain a little more secrecy from your fan club!"

Akira winced. "Is now a bad time? I can come back—"

"No!" Izzy scrambled to his feet, ignoring Akira's offered assistance, then beamed once he was fully upright. "What can I do for you?"

Suddenly, Akira forgot her prepared script, and her eyes scanned the lab until she saw another familiar item. "The...devices from Madagascar. Did you find anything interesting?"