𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈, 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐕𝐀𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐒

MY LIFE HAD CHANGED OVERNIGHT

Not only did I still not know what truly happened to me, the people that I adored in my life were revealed as creatures I only knew from myths and legends.

Carlisle had pulled me and Chrissy out of an abusive relationship. He had saved my life, saved me from being a mother to his children. We couldn't do it- and that angered him more than anything. Now it made sense as to why he wasn't scared of him. Why would a vampire be afraid of a mere mortal man?

I'm not there anymore, but my turning reminded me of that night. Of being pulled out, of the fight and struggle that happened beforehand, of the marks he left on me. My memories about last night are as fragmented as the memories of me leaving. It had just happened. I felt more like a witness than an active participant in it.

I hated the reminder.

Yet now I couldn't sleep it off. Aro explained that I would find no rest in sleep, and that falling asleep would be more trouble than it was worth. I did try, after he told me, and he was quite right. I felt emptier than before.

It was a terrible idea to do before I was supposed to be introduced to an entire group of people. If the Volturi family were all family, a Coven, I had to begin getting to know them if I was going to stay with them. Alright, I could manage that even if I wasn't feeling my best. Was feeling much less than my best. Not as bad as awful, but somewhere between that and fine.

The hallways were crowded with people that barely moved, acting like stone statues from a museum. I still didn't know any of their names, didn't know what any of them did. They were still strangers. Even the faces that often stood outside my door were confusing at best, unfamiliar at worst.

I had a feeling that I wouldn't be meeting the entire guard at once. There were simply too many people still guarding doors for there to be more than ten guards to be inside the library. That damned library, that was where it all happened. The letter... the stupid affair ridden letter that I had to tell Caius about. Well, I guess that's all well and done. She attacked... and she died on that hill.

As I turned the shiny golden knob on the door, I was met with a few audible shuffles from the inside. From there I peeked my head in, to find a group of guards properly standing up, their hands behind their backs.

It was weird. They didn't seem happy at all to meet me, but rather, completely terrified to be in my presence. It was as if I were some sort of torturer coming to their cells to whip their hands for making a mistake. Like I was a dictator that inspired fear into the masses. They didn't speak with one another, never dared to look around. Their faces were still, inhuman and horrified.

Something unsaid lingered between the group.

The child-like blonde spoke up first. She was quite a bit shorter than me, had to be under five feet. Small build, like she hadn't even gone through puberty yet. She couldn't be over the age of thirteen.