interview #10 Christmas Prompt contest winner 2023 @melodyofthesun

Deer Nutson @melodyofthesun 

placement:  Christmas choice pick 2023

1 What is the title of your story? and what inspired the title?

The title of my story is 'Deer Nutson'. I knew I wanted a pun on theme that was going to be unique and simultaneously festive.

2 What is your story about?

The story is about the magic of childhood never really leaving the depths of us. A grandfather who has taken to living life away from people and a granddaughter who loves his stories and oddities. They share a magical tradition of watching Deer herds migrate every year on the same day.

3 Is the Christmas prompt contest, the first contest you entered?

Yes! The Christmas prompt contest was the first I have ever entered!

4 What was your reaction to discovering you were one of the winners?

 I was so happy to discover I was one of the winners. It has really made my Christmas!

5 What is your favorite holiday activity?

My favorite holiday activity is definitely eating all the food in sight and cuddling up on the sofa afterwards to a cozy Christmas classic.

6 do you have any future plans with the story you entered? (standalone novel/series)

 I don't know if I have any plans for the story i entered! Not at the moment!

7 What's a good piece of advice to give someone, who desires to enter a contest?

 Just go for it! It's so much fun to follow a prompt and complete a short story because it's doable- you feel so accomplished!

8 What is your favorite holiday memory? (optional to answer)

 favorite holiday memory is my Christmas with my husband last year where we took simple walks by day and cuddled up with lots of yummy food by night. (He was only my boyfriend then too!)

What is the most important piece of a story?

The cover |quality of the story| type of story

 for me the most important part of a story is the content and the hidden meanings. The quality of writing and the characters are also up there.

10 How does being a part of the Wattpad community help you as writer?

 I've struggled with Wattpad to find my place and a community where I belong. But things like this competition have boosted my confidence and pushed me to open more doors and expand my horizons.

11 What genre of story attracts you as a reader?

my most treasured genre has to be fantasy without a doubt. I'm a lover of romance in a fantasy world, complete sucker for them. I am also a lover of a murder mystery.

12 What's a good piece of writing advice, that you've learned?

A good piece of writing advice I have heard is that your first draft of anything is supposed to be bad; it's the only job it has, so attempting to make it perfect takes away its very purpose! As a chronic perfectionist, I can't say I live by that, but it has definitely helped. 

13 Do you believe contest and interview platforms help you as a writer?

yes I do believe contest and interview platforms help me as a write because they push and prompt me to write in consecutive ways! Sometimes pushing myself a 9-part- book series for example can be a bit daunting. It can be daunting to even think about an entire novel, but pushing myself to do a short story using a prompt shows a snippet of what I can do, makes me feel accomplished and helps me use my skills in diverse and creative ways. 

14 Since joining Wattpad, do you believe you've become a better writer?

 absolutely. I joined when I was a teenager and needless to say I'm not quite where I want to be just yet, but thank God I'm not where I used to be. 

15 What is a must have item for you to enjoy the holiday season?

a must have item for me to enjoy the holiday season has to be my hair bows! I'm a Christmas girlie-girlie, tartan skirts and green and red ribbons are how I flow and I love feeling cute and pretty and feminine over the holidays!! ☃️