♦35♦

I went to collect all the shattered portal pieces from the ground next to the window. 32 was right when he claimed that it burned to hold in your hands, the sensation was horrific. I haven't noticed any direct changes on my body, yet I felt an overwhelming feeling of my skin melting, as if the shards were slowly smelting into my flesh.

I ran back upstairs, trying to keep as little contact with the material as possible. I threw it at 37 in panic, as they grabbed it while it was still in the air, holding it in their claw as if it was nothing. I immediately stepped back, taking a concerned look at my hands. They looked fine, yet the awful feeling still wouldn't let go.

-Doesn't it hurt?! -I couldn't get over the impression of how casually they held it, not showing any signs of physical pain. In response they just stared at me in awkward silence.

-It stops being that noticeable after a while. -They stated as 67 finally handed them back a filled vial with colourless liquid inside.

It was finally the time to go back to the backrooms.

37 gathered all the shattered pieces in a heap, carefully glueing them with the venom together. A gentle glow began sparking inside of the material, progressively becoming brighter to the point where it was a green neon light, lightening up the whole room. The broken pieces connected with themselves, slowly creating a small rectangle door-like entrance. The cracks began to fade, finally presenting the portal in its full glory.

It was done. The portal was opened.

We all gave ourselves a few seconds to admire the view, letting the green flash reflect from our eyes, almost blinding us. The room was quiet, except for the loud white noise making its way out of the portal, filling the attic.

37 sighed, and directed their proud steps towards it, ready to return home. By their expression I could suppose that the feeling of relief was all that there was at the moment, maybe along with excitement to finally lay their feet in the funrooms after all this time.

-Wait. -32 interrupted them. They immediately stopped and turned around, waiting for him to continue whatever was on his mind.-Let me just grab something real quick. -He asked, as they nodded their head in agreement.

-Leave the cat outside. -They added while 32 was already getting down the stairs.

After all these days I grew attached towards the cat.I couldn't stand the thought of Brownie being left in the frontrooms forest alone. The thought of the cat having to fight for its own survival, because we decided to abandon it was heart-breaking. These thoughts and guilt were eating me alive, yet it wasn't even up to me what was happening to it.

I just stared at 32, disappearing out of my sight with the cat in his arms, leaving the attic.

///////

It took him a few minutes, yet eventually he returned with a jar of blood. He couldn't stand the thought of just leaving it here for it to mould in an abandoned house.

The cat that was just a few seconds before purring next to us was now nowhere to be seen. 32 folded his arms, not willing to make eye contact with anyone, especially not with 37. The only thing I felt at the moment was grief and pure betrayal. Even if I understood that 37 was no one that you wished to be in conflict with, since they were the one helping us escape, I still couldn't stand the thought of him leaving our cat in the frontrooms. I knew that Partygoers were cruel, yet I couldn't handle them being that cruel.

-It is gonna be okay. -67 whispered in my ear, noticing the tears slowly forming in my eyes.-I promise. -They added, comforting me with their warm tone of voice.