He would fidget with his bandana suddenly feeling like he was having a hard time breathing. Which was laughable because he didn't have a set of lungs anyway.
But for Sans this was no laughing matter.
Even he realized how concerning this behavior was.
Keeping his voice at proper volume and tone got harder and harder as the seconds rolled by.
He desperately wanted to leave the conversation, an unusual act for Sans considering he used to jump at the opportunity to talk and make friends.

But, no. He had to play his cards right. He had to answer their questions to control the narrative.
After lying to (Y/n) about what really happened about her head injury, he found that manipulation is a fantastic way for power and control over the situation.
If he can do it with the human, who's to say he can't with monsters?

"Well... ya see..."

He would start, rubbing the back of his skull. He paused buying himself some time to 'proof-read' the lies he was about to spew. The stories should line up and match eachother, preferably.
But that was hard to do if he wanted
(Y/n) AND his fellow guardsmen to have complete trust in him.

"Alphys and I have been close friends for a while... and...ugh maybe I shouldn't tell you guys..."

His tilt towards backing out made them even more interested.
Lesser dog would pant excitedly, wanting in on the gossip Sans was clearly cliff-hanging.

One of the royal guard's had their bunny ears perk up.

"Hey wait a minute! You can't just back out now! Tell us what's going on!"

They pleaded, needing to know now. Sans had a difficult time holding back a smile as the rest of the group began to bite his bait.
He would raise and lower his hands, asking the small crowd to calm down.
They all stood silent, waiting for his words.

"Alphys asked me to keep this a secret but before the human came down here she confided in me that she wanted to be the one to turn in the human. She asked –since my sentry position is right next to the ruins– that I hold onto the human and give them to her to turn in. I know, I know! It's silly...!"

He defended, the guards seemed to have bought it as they shook their heads.

"Well... what about Captain Alphys...? Where is she? Is she alright?"

Okay, here we go...

"Psh! She's fine! We were just sparring the other day and we might've gotten carried away. We roughed up eachother up so bad I had to stay home and she is currently under Undyne's aid as we speak! You can visit her but I don't think she'll be very happy with her lackeys seeing her so vulnerable mwehehe!"

He chuckled light-heartedly. His positive attitude was convincing and made him look innocent.

"So you and Alphys made a deal and got carried away with training again...?"

They would ask. The Royal Guards would exchange looks with eachother and start laughing with one another.
Sans would laugh along, a weight lifting off of his shoulders.

"Haha! Classic Alphys always pushing herself to the limit! Who knew she'd outsmart us like that, huh? Haha!"

One of them would hold up their drink.

"Here's to our Captain's recovery AND victory! Cheers!"

They would clink their cups of non-alcoholic beverages.

Sans would smile at them, glee filling in his chest.

"Sorry but I gotta go! Muffet is persistent in putting the human to good use before turning 'em in!"