Stage 13- Creation

Eight Neurosurgeons stood in a surgery prep room, pulling purple scrubs and face masks onto their bodies. They were all lean and muscular, with long, bony fingers, light brown hair, and Facdef purple eyes. Their heads were slightly smaller than an Egghead's; not because they were less intelligent, but because they were more specialized. Eggheads had a comprehensive knowledge of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology, and to an extent fields like Geology, Astronomy, and even Engineering and Technology. Neurosurgeons, however, knew only Psychology and Biochemistry, but they excelled in their field. They could take apart a human brain and put it back together in a whole new way, causing the individual to experience reality in ways never before imaginable.

Neurosurgeons were extremely philosophical and introspective, and due to the fact they weren't used much they had plenty of time to relax and get high. Marijuana was grown for them by them, but Mentor put a restriction on it, stating that the material was counterproductive and inefficient to produce. It did, however, improve their work, so he let them have small quantities of the stuff now and then.

"Registers. God damn, we haven't had these things around in years," one of the Neurosurgeons remarked.

"No kidding. I wonder why he wants them now, of all times."

"I heard that the War Technicians got cocky and decided to invade South America."

"Really now?" This came as a surprise to the Neurosurgeon, but it was expected. Neurosurgeons were left in the dark about most things compared to the Technicians and most other groups, who learned about everything through official or unofficial means.

There had been numerous epiphanies among the Neurosurgeons due to their excessive consumption of illicit chemicals, some of which they designed themselves and some of which were designed by the Eggheads that needed a testing group. Some of these epiphanies were rather insightful, such as 'there is no good or evil, morality is subjective, and those who are strongest are left to forge their own destinies (something they'd already know if most classic literature--Nietzsche for example--hadn't been burned) and some were less insightful, such as 'I could really go for some chicken right now.' This was unique in its own right as chicken did not exist outside of Outland, and people in Arksiane didn't really, well, eat. They slept in chambers that rejuvenated them and gave them enough nutrients and hydration for the day; eating was foreign and drinking was as well. However, the Technicians did smoke and drink excessively, something they were given by Outland.

"Apparently so. Although I don't see why Mentor-"

Another Neurosurgeon sent the speaker a look at made him stop suddenly, and then realization crossed his face.

This stemmed from the fact that the Neurosurgeons weren't technically allowed to know about Mentor.

Back in the early days when Mentor was freshly grown by the Eggheads from alien DNA extracted from a fossil on a meteor, Mentor became extremely ill. Not ill with a sickness, but mentally ill. The creature was killing those around it with psychic assault, periodically losing it's ability to speak, and could not be taken out of a steel cell. The Neurosurgeons were given a chemical that would make them lose memory of the creature after they finished an operation on it that would make it sane. The operation was a success, and the Neurosurgeons lost memory of the event.

Until three years later, when the Eggheads gave them LSD.

The chemical triggered a reaction in their brains that caused a flood of memories and hallucinations, and although the hallucinations decayed after a short period of time, the memories persisted. They retained full memory of their operation on Mentor, along with what the creature was and did.