Ch.3

I looked at Lucy through her open car window, not a word was spoken, but by looking at me, I think she just knew, Lucy is good like that. She knows all the things I'm not strong enough to say.

She motioned at me to come in, and I walked over to the passenger seat and buckled in. (because car safety is not to be fucked with people)

She grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes. "what happened Sophie..."

I tried hard, I really did, to stay strong, but I collapsed into tears

"What did they say" she asked grimly

"Freak" I whispered
"My mom... s-s-she called me a-a-a..." I couldn't even finish that sentence.

Instead I bit my lip and hung my head in shame.

"I'm fine" I said coldly. I didn't even dare look at her, instead I brushed off Lucy's presence and stared out the window.

"Let's just go to your place ok?" I asked her flatly before settling in for a silent car ride.
~~

Lucy is about a year or two older then me, she's 19, and I'm 17. so she has her own place.

I walked over to her bed quietly, that's the routine on days like this, it's sad how often it happens that I have to be rescued from my own home.

I pulled on a large tee shirt as a pajama. and once in bed, I popped off my prosthetics. I looked at what was left of my legs, sitting above the blankets. my mothers words kept spinning through my head 'handicap' 'freak'

It's not my fault right...
Is it?
If I was stronger...
If I was more careful...

Mom's right... I deserve to be hated, maybe I am crazy...

I sat staring at the ceiling.
And Lucy walked in. she looked at me with sad green eyes.

She got a pajama on and laid next to me. she wrapped her warm arms lovingly

"I love you Sophie..." she said
"I'm here for you... no matter what..."

But her words were white noise to me. so I didn't listen to a word. But I brushed her arms off and rolled away from her.

Still confused and consumed by the events of today.
~~
She fell asleep quickly, and as soon as she did I rushed out of bed, I put on my prosthetics and some workout clothes.

And left her house.

I went over to where I train. it's a little place, but I go so often that the boss eventually gave me a key.
Once I got there

I bounced from jumping rope
To furiously pounding at a punching bag. sweat dripped down my face, anger an confusion left from my veins to my punches with every heart beat.

I don't have time to be 'sad' I don't have time to be weak. I just cant.

Morning light came in what felt like an instant. But it didn't phase me.

I wasn't snapped out of my angry daze until the bald muscular man known as 'Boss' (the owner of the gym)

"Whoa there Sophie" he said worried
"You look beat!" Boss exclaimed
"I don't mind you coming in here after or before hours, that's why I gave you a key, but how long have you been here?!"

I mentally answered
'Since 6or7'
But I stayed silent, preserving my energy to keep going at the bag

Boss came up behind me and pulled my arm from the bag

"That's enough" he growled
"I know how you get, and I don't want to see you getting hurt"

"Bit too late for that" I whispered looking down at my legs

"Troubles at home?" He asked sympathetically.

"It's none of your business" I hissed coldly before grabbing my stuff and walking out.

~~

I reached a fork in the road, if I go left, I can go home, if I go right... I go to Lucy, is this even a question? Why would I want to go home when the girl I love is waiting on the other road.

I smiled softly

'I hope she knows how much I really love her' I thought to myself

~~

I saw her door and smiled past my tired eyes. but as I got closer, I heard noises inside.

And then the crash of a glass object on the floor... and yelling...

Him
I thought in a panic.

With all of what's left in me I knocked the door open.

I ran to her room (where the noise was coming from)

And once again threw the door open with ease.

But what I saw... was far worse then witnessing a killer could ever be.