Chapter 11: The Canyon

"Where to next?" Beth asks the next morning as we get ready to head out.

"Probably some place weird like the house of the country's oldest man to give him a bath," Reggie tells us from the bathroom as he pauses
from brushing his teeth.

I narrow my eyes at Reggie's back but turn my attention to Blake as I hear him chuckle.

"What are you laughing at?" I ask, knowing exactly what he's laughing at.

He raises his hands in defense, "Nothing."

Though my eyes are narrowed, I can't help but to grin. It's fair that Reggie would think that that's what we're doing.

You wish that you'd have thought of that idea.

I'll forever deny that I ever even entertained that idea.

"If there isn't traffic, we should get there in about nine hours," Beth says from where she's staring at her phone.

"Either way, I think we'll make it before nighttime," I explain as I study my map.

We aren't far from reaching the other side of the country, California. The idea is surreal.

We've made it. It's bittersweet really. We've almost made it all the way across the country, yet it means we're closer to the end.

"Ready to go?" Beth asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I nod and head out with everyone to the van.

"But really, where are we going?" Reggie asks as he climbs in the backseat with Beth.

"The Grand Canyon," I tell them as I start up the van.

"Wow. That's like...normal," Blake tells me and I give him a pinch on the arm in reply.

"It's going to be beautiful," Beth says, thinking about what I assume to be the Canyon.

"Yeah," I hear a mutter from Blake right before he rests his hand on my leg. He leaves it there as I drive.

Good.

"We're nearing the beach Trevor. You excited?" Blake asks me after we've been driving for about forty-five minutes.

"Yeah I am. I haven't been in years. You gonna get into the water with me?" I ask.

Was that flirting? Was it weird? I don't know how I feel about that.

Whether Blake thought it was weird or not, he doesn't mention it. He even grins at my comment.

"Of course, I am," he tells me, squeezing my leg with the hand that's been resting on it since we got in the car.

"Since we're all sitting here, I think I'm going to address something Beth and I have been wondering. About...the two of you," Reggie starts, directing his comment to Blake and I.

Well, this is it. I have to vocally address my feelings for another person. Maybe if I sit really still, they'll forget that I'm here.

That sounds about right.

"What do you want to know?" Blakes asks them confidently. I silently thank him for taking the lead on this.

Looking in the rearview mirror, I see Reggie and Beth look at each other before Reggie continues speaking, "We just wanted to know if you guys...know when we go back to school this year."

I roll my eyes but can't help myself from laughing, "You're both assholes."

"We already know about you two. We don't need to ask," Beth tells us and I let out a breath knowing that we don't need to explain ourselves, though we shouldn't have to.