Chapter 15: Alter Time

Beginne am Anfang

A tired sigh of acknowledgment left his lips as he gulped down the rest of his drink, leaving it a nearby breakroom and going to the central elevator. He patiently waited as the elevator rocked back and forth, then whirled to life. It started down towards the lower floors, bringing the Chief down to the lab that the two usually were found in.

Mercy: "The day hasn't even started properly!" He heard the female employee yell from behind the steel doors. 

Zetsubou let out a nervous sigh as the doors creaked open, and he stepped out. This caught the attention of Connor and Mercy, both immediately standing up from their seats and saluting him.

Zetsubou: "I'm not a soldier. You can lower your hands."

Connor: "R-Right, Yessir!" They both relaxed and lowered their hands, releasing a breath they weren't aware they were holding in.

Zetsubou: "I just decided to drop by to check on the progress of the Riders."

Mercy: "Well, they're doing good so far. Chrono hasn't been pushing his limits too far lately, I thank the other two Riders for that. Paradox is more confident in her abilities now, even going as far as sparring with the other two. Finally, there hasn't been much change with Gears, but that's to be expected."

Zetsubou: "That's good to hear. Yet, we shouldn't relax just yet. The Legendary Zodiacs are still out and about... Has there been any sign of them?"

Connor shook his head and turned around to his computer, quickly tabbing off the cat video and pulling up the scanner.

Connor: "Nope, no signs of the Zodiacs. All is quiet on the Western Front."

Zetsubou smiled and was about to head out when a weird beep came from the machine. Mercy and the Chief crowded around Connor as a black circle appeared on the map of the city.

Zetsubou: "Is it meant to do that?"

Mercy: "No... It isn't..."

She was about to push Connor out of the way to get a closer look when three more symbols appeared. One a sort of brown, another one white, and the final one a cobalt grey.

Mercy: "That's..."

Connor: "The Ox, Rabbit, and Dog..."

...(Back with the Riders)...

The three of them rushed onto the scene, and what they found confused them beyond belief. Three Zodiacs they thought were sealed away were wreaking havoc among the citizens. They all reached into a bag tied around their waist and pulled out their respective coins.

Kibou: "What the? How?"

Trish: "I have no idea... This should be impossible."

Yuya: "Apparently not. Let's let Connor and Mercy figure this out later! We got a job to do!"

Kibou: "Right. Let's go!"

Kibou/Yuya/Trish: "Henshin!"

They all ran forward, inserting the coins into their Drivers as a mess of noises filled the air. 

Chrono jumped high into the air, performing a front flip before extending his leg and kicking the Dog Zodiac away. The beast stumbled back, holding the wound as black sand began to pour from it.

Chrono: "Wha...?" He stepped forward, clearly confused. 

Young Boy: "Excuse me..." 

This got Chrono's attention, causing him to look over his shoulder. He saw the little boy and sighed, kneeling down to his level. He noticed that the little boy had tears in his eyes and was holding his father tight. He was knocked unconscious.