Russian Negotiations

Hanki's Diary, historical reference to his first thoughts on the Russians.

For the Russian Federation and other rich nations like it, military power perfectly reflects technological progress. Their combat iron dragons fly at more than 2x the speed of sound, and their speed of ascent is similarly incredible. They are monstrous tools that have a combat range of over 2,000 km. And their Iron ground beasts can withstand significant amounts of punishment even the flames of a wyvern lord or another iron beast. From their perspective, the only things we have that could threaten them are our wyverns.

According to our guide Sergei, iron dragons can be used for both land and naval battles. I thought I felt threatened when that iron dragon invaded Myhak's airspace, but now I realize that was not the correct reaction. Compared to the combat iron dragons, the one that flew over Myhak wouldn't last even a second. In other words, I can confidently declare that the iron dragon in the Myhak incident was actually just a patrol.

We must establish friendly relations with them. Making an enemy of them would have far worse consequences than even making an enemy of one of the great civilizations.

They must never be hostile to us.

XXXXX

Limousine

Roads of Saint Petersburg

"Hey Corlis."

"What is it?"

"What do you think of Russia?"

"Hmm, if I could only use one word, I would say 'affluent.' To a ridiculous degree. In this hotel, the temperature stays the same at all times. How much energy does it take to achieve that, for a building of this size? Furthermore, it's not like they're doing it just to impress our delegation, almost every building has its temperature controlled like this.

"You can cover yourself in hot water just by turning a knob, without worrying about lighting a fire. Toilets are kept very clean. If you go out, there are unmanned vending machines where you can get cold juice or alcohol, depending on the place.

"There are shops open at all hours of the night where you can find all manner of high-quality items. The grocery shops always have fresh food. The nights here are brightly lit, and, even if some areas aren't, I would still feel safe walking around because of how orderly their cities are.

"Compared to our country, their quality of life, from every angle, is higher. It's frustrating to admit, but it makes me truly feel the difference in our nations' strengths.

"Finally, that military show was truly mind-blowing. It felt like a slap in the face, actually seeing the stark difference in our military capabilities. It completely convinced me that we cannot possibly fight Russia as an enemy."

"I'm glad we both came to the same conclusion... In the face of a combat-ready iron dragon, our wyverns would be completely powerless. Russia is really bad for my heart, haha."

"I, on the other hand, am beyond excited. This kind of advanced, sophisticated country appeared near us, but they don't look down on others like the three great civilisations do. For our country to be their first point of contact, and for them to not have an interest in conquering us, I think that in itself was a great stroke of fortune."

Corlis and Hanki continued chatting while touring the city.

After a while, when they approached their hotel, their guide Sergei was waiting at the front. "Gentlemen, i hope your experience at the military show and the tour of Saint Petersburg was great. Here is our schedule for tomorrow. After breakfast, at ten hundred hours, I will detail you on our activities in Railway. At eleven thirty, we will leave the hotel to catch the high speed train from Saint Petersburg to Moscow at twelve hundred. We will arrive at Leningradsky station at two-forty-five, after which..."