Chapter 21 - Leaders and Tupperware

Comincia dall'inizio

I snatched the sandwich in my mouth and laid back down, eating the sandwich in frustrated silence. Stupid paws. How does anyone do anything with these...?

"Y-you know, if you had asked, any of us would've-" Sam started.

"Would've helped me open the flippin' tupperware? But I didn't, did I?!" I said sharply. "That's because I'm a stupid leader, isn't it?!"

Sam was staring at me, wide-eyed.

Laura spoke up immediately. "You probably should-"

"I should what, huh? Be like you?" I was feeling pretty riled up now. "What I don't understand is why aren't you leading us?!! You're the better leader! I couldn't even keep us awake in the snow!"

"Now hold on-" Laura started.

"In fact, if it wasn't for you, we'd probably all be dead! A stupid dog, a bird, and a lizard, still sleeping in the snow!" I was really angry now, I didn't even care.

"ALRIGHT, THAT'S ENOUGH!" Laura shouted with a force that made me flinch. She pointed at me. "You. Wait over there." She pointed at the forest nearby.

I was about to say something else but then she interrupted me again even more sternly.

"Now."

I scoffed and huffed my way over to the woods.

—— —— —— —— ——

I got past the treeline and angrily sat down, leaning with my back up against a rock. What was the deal with them? I mean, I know I probably shouted a little, but couldn't Laura see the stress I was under? I'm being forced to be a leader! She's a natural one! What's her problem?

After a few minutes, Laura finally came over to join me. I waited for her to talk first.

"What was that about?" She asked. She didn't really ask though, it was more like a demand.

I was surprised by her demanding, so I gave my answer flat-out: "I'm supposed to be some great leader, but I'm not! What are you-"

"-No." she interrupted me, "You need to settle down."

I glared at her, but kept quiet.

She was quiet for a moment. "Have you ever been a leader before, Eva?"

Are we really going down this path? "No, I haven't."

"Do you know what a leader does?" she asked.

I grew frustrated again. "Yeah I know what a leader does." How could Laura be so insensitive? My blood wanted to boil.

Laura calmly continued. "You yelled at Sam, who has shown you nothing but kindness. That is not a great start to being a leader. This is why I ask."

"Well you-" I paused. Did I really yell at Sam? "Well- well I'm under a lot of pressure okay!?"

"How do you think Sam felt when he was dragging you and the bird in the snow?"

I paused. Laura took this as a sign to continue.

"What about when he got tired? Or when he tied his scarf to the tree with numb fingers?"

A shiver ran down my spine. "I- I-"

"Or, most especially, when he got so cold and tired that he couldn't move anymore, and still tried to keep you guys warm? I saw the way he curled around you two. That overly-anxious kid was fully willing to sacrifice himself for you. It was him who saved you, not me."

This was a lot to process. I just kind of sat there for a moment.

"Being a leader is more than just taking the lead. It requires sacrifice on your part. You have to be willing to accept your teammates even with their struggles and fears, and to help them grow. That's part of being a team."