Chapter 7 - The Trek

The first week passed by swiftly. Sam and I trekked onwards, mostly going through forests and occasionally some grassy fields. This Pokémon world sure was full of nature. Each night, we tried battling each other, and I felt I was starting to get the hang of it. Sam said that some Pokémon measure their abilities in levels, but he didn't. I thought that was kind of weird to do, because as far as I could tell, fighting was just like exercising here. It would make you stronger the more you did it.

Sam and I talked a lot about my world. I told him how a lot of things functioned, and he was deeply interested in pretty much everything. It seems that the only thing I can't remember are details about my parents and some of my family. Maybe Arceus made me forget so I would not be so homesick? I'm not sure. All I know is I want to get home to see what I'm missing.

"So what's a high school?" Sam asked me, referring back to a previous conversation we had had.

"High school is the last place you go to to learn before you typically leave home." I replied. "We would go there for a few years, and then decide what we're doing with our lives. We would move out of our parents home, and go to college or whatever we choose to do. Some people would get married, and then make their own families. I was still in high school before I got here."

"What kind of things do you learn?"

"Oh you know- history, science, geography, mathematics, ... A lot of really boring stuff that we don't usually use."

"That sounds really cool! I've had to learn a lot of those things by just reading! Why do you sound so bummed out about it?"

"Most of us didn't want to learn about all that. I mean, sure it's useful, but it was so boring the way that they taught us. We had to fill out worksheets and diagrams, all sorts of boring stuff."

"Hmm..." Sam said, pondering over my words. "Well, I think I would like it."

"Of course you would." I joked. "That's because you're a nerd!"

Sam looked over at me with a confused expression. "Nerd? What's a nerd?"

"A nerd is what you call someone who is way into studying and research... A lot of people use it as an insult, but you can be a nerd and be cool at the same time."

"Oh... well then yes I am! I am a nerd!" Sam said triumphantly.

I laughed. Sam wasn't that too bad of a guy. In fact, if we went to the same high school, I probably would like to be good friends with him.

Soon though, Sam asked me a question.

"Eva, was Jake a nerd then?"

I stopped cold in my thoughts. I hadn't considered that. What if Jake was too smart for us? I mean, if he knew a lot about Pokémon, maybe he ruined Hector and Rebecca's plan before they could finish setting it up? Also, if they were to use pop culture references, wouldn't he know them? How would they ensure that he could not teach his followers his knowledge of things like that?

"I guess..." I said.

"Well then..." Sam gulped. "W-what if he knows what p-pop-culture they used? W-w-what if he taught his followers...?" He trailed off.

"I... don't know." I said. I wasn't going to lie to Sam, I really didn't! It was my hope that they knew what they were doing when they made the books.

——————————-

Sam taught me a few more things about the world of Pokémon. There were 18 different Pokémon types: Normal, Fire, Water, Grass, Ice, Rock, Electric, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Psychic, Flying, Bug, Dark, Ghost, Dragon, Steel and Fairy. Some Pokémon could even learn moves of another type. For example, Bite is a Dark type move, even though I'm a normal type. It is weird that biting someone is not normal.