Chapter 4: Target Practice

Keris, Neith thought, the new recruit whose skills were not nearly as valuable as hers, was the one Aleixo chose over her. She hated her for it, and her heart ached for Aleixo every time he looked at her. Her stomach had butterflies at the memory of how his hair sat, his beautiful eyes, and his strength.

She admired him for saving her and her family from the rut they lived in. She'd never be able to repay him but she tried. She'd do anything for him and she knew she shouldn't feel that way for a cold-hearted man, especially as he threatened to break the very thing she needed. Her hands. He was ruthless and vile, but Neith's feelings still ran deeply for him.

He had been kinder to Keris than he had to Neith all year, and she had held a grudge against him for it. She had felt as if Aleixo had been taken from her. The first time she had encountered Aleixo, he had been kind and had proposed to her that she and her family join his gang. Why couldn't he be the same now?

 Keris had dressed like a man, and perhaps that was why he had been kind to her. Perhaps she had appeared to him as an equal.

Neith sat down on the bed for a bit, staring out the window and thinking with a lump in her throat. She had to pull herself together. Maybe that's why Aleixo didn't like her. She just wanted to go over and slap Keris. So that's what she went to do.

She marched right back up the stairs and knocked on Keris' door. She heard footsteps and soon the door clicked and opened slowly.

"Can I help you?" Keris hissed.
"What made you think you could talk to me in such a manner earlier this morning?" Neith barked.
"You spoke of me in an ill manner, so I made sure you wouldn't do it again," Keris responded.
Keris pulled the door open entirely, revealing Aleixo in the same room, as Neith began to raise her hand. As Aleixo tightened his jaw, Neith froze, her palm motionless in the air. Keris seized her hand and brutally threw Neith into the wall, securing both her hands behind her back.

"Do not ever attempt to slap me again or I will snap your fingers one by one."

Keris released her, clicking her tongue. Neith knew that she could never compete with her, but she could demonstrate to Aleixo that she was more powerful and agile than she indicated.
     "I challenge you," Neith spoke.
     "To what?" Keris questioned, making her way back to her bed.
     "We shall use our respected weapons and do target practice. Now."
Keris looked up to the ceiling shaking her head.
     "What would be the point?"
     "To prove who is better. Faster," Neith informs.
     "We are not comparable, Neith. We have different weapons and different skill sets. It would make no sense," Keris responded, quietly.
     "Mr.Vitalis, will you watch as we compete?" Neith requested.
     "If Keris wishes to challenge you, then I will," he sighed.
     "Keris?" Neith waited.
Keris simply nodded her head, grabbed the dagger on her bedside table, and put it back into the loophole of her belt.

⚙︎⚙︎⚙︎

Drawing an arrow, Neith aimed at the target. She took a deep breath and let the arrow fly. The arrow spins in the air, striking the target in its center. With a smirk, she moved on to the next target, a scarecrow. Neith drew another arrow, mounted it, and focused her eyes on the target. Lifting the bow, she released the arrow, striking the scarecrow in the eye. Rolling her arms back, Neith quickly makes her way to the third and final target, an apple, which is approximately 15 feet away. Repeating the procedure of mounting the arrow, Neith glances at Aleixo.

Aleixo appeared unfazed. It was likely because he'd seen her do it all of the time. She let the arrow fly, the sound of the wood scraping against the bow. The arrow pierced the apple and even knocked it off of the haybale she had it perched on.

She turned to face Keris, who had a stern look on her face. Had she finally made her scared? Nervous?

Aleixo picked up the apple and perched it back on the hay.

"Keris, it is your turn," Aleixo informed.

Keris only nodded and walked to the first target. Neith's heart sank as Keris threw her dagger within small few seconds of looking at it. Her dagger split Neith's arrow and stuck to the red dot. Keris moved to the second target, and hit the scarecrow in the other eye, also with only about 2 seconds of looking at it. She moved on the last and threw her third dagger at it, splitting the apple in two.

"What?" Neith whispers to herself.

Keris turned to Aleixo and Neith.
     "I would not take it too hard, Neith. Our weapons are very different and handled differently. You are a very skilled archer, I admit," Keris said.

She then moved to retrieve her daggers as Aleixo turned to Neith.
     "I believe I told you I would have you pay the price for not treating Keris as an equal," Aleixo stated.
     "I don't believe challenging her to a friendly match of hitting targets is treating her unequally," Neith replied.
     "Did you not try to slap her beforehand?"

Neith's blood went cold and she swore the color vanished from her face.

"Your brother will pay the price, as I said he would," Aleixo informed.
"Mr.Vitalis, do not punish her brother. I handled her, let's not forget I slammed her into a wall," Keris spoke, back from retrieving her daggers.
     "I do not need your help, Keris," Neith snapped.
     "Yes, and Keris, do not ever tell me what to do or what not to or you will face a consequence. I will do what I see fit," Aleixo growled.
     "You could not lay a finger on me Mr.Vitalis, so I suggest you do not threaten me. I do not care who you are or how ruthless you are. You do not frighten me and you are not threatening," Keris hisses.
      "As for you Neith, I have done nothing to you. I believe you were the one who had an issue with me first. I do not know why, but I will not defend you like this again."

Keris walked off, back into the building. Neith gazed up at Aleixo. He had a cold expression on his face and almost growled when he said, "Pray for your sorry brother."
     "Please, Mr. Vitalis, do not hurt him," Neith begs.
     "If only Keris kept her mouth shut," he said, with a pouting face. "Too bad."
     "Do not hurt them, I'll do anything."
     "I believe my mind is made. I made it very clear to you when I told you I'd make one of your brothers pay the price. That is exactly what one of them will be doing tonight. You are not to warn them."

He attempted to walk away but Neith grabbed onto him and sank to her knees.
     "Please, Mr. Vitalis, I beg," she cries.
Aleixo pulled his leg from her grip and only smirked and the sight of her helpless face.
     "No exceptions for anyone."