Chapter One: Hunted

"Watch it!" Behind him, a trader shouted.

Aleixo had grown accustomed to the traders and locals bickering amongst themselves, but when something goes wrong, they make sure everyone in the square hears it.
     "Why in God's name is she running?" said another merchant.
     "What a whore," says a woman in her late 30s, wearing a full face of make-up, still trying to restore her youth looks, and a tight corset that makes her sound like she's gasping for breath when she speaks.
     "What the hell is happening?" Damyan asked.

Aleixo does not consider Damyan a friend. After Damyan was brutally beaten to a pulp for being wealthy, Aleixo acted as a savior. Aleixo intervened at the perfect time and the thieves that beat him went running for the hills. Aleixo offered Damyan his hand and helped him get back to good health on one condition; He joins his gang. Oros is one of the most dangerous cities in Aclea, and the city is plagued by thieves, murderers, and other heinous criminals. When they see Damyan with his expensive watches and perfectly tailored clothing, men walked up to him and beat him.  Aleixo had always suspected Damyan of being a fool, and he never fails to remind him of his shortcomings, particularly since Damyan is not the most humble type and used to think he was on top of the world. 

Aleixo despised the wealthy, yet he would sacrifice a great deal to be in their position. This is the city where criminals create their bones and strive to make it high in the ranks. Some pray, while others simply observe and wait to see what happens. It is difficult to maintain one's faith when the city itself appears to be out to get you.

     "No clue," Aleixo replied cautiously.

Aleixo tried to catch a glimpse of what everyone else is looking at, but he didn't need to look much when the girl everyone was looking at collided with him.

     "Move out of the way!" she yelled, shoving Aleixo into the nearby wall.

The crowd gasps, even Damyan is taken aback by what he sees despite his hatred and anger toward Aleixo. Aleixo is one of Oros' most notorious gangsters. No one would dare touch him. They wouldn't even look at him unless he asked them to. Aleixo only laughed to himself.

The only thing he could make out of her was black, curling hair, a black corset, and black trousers. Aleixo had never seen this woman before, but he was confident that he would soon have information about her. He had access to the details of every individual who has disembarked from a ship and entered Oros solely because the staff was intimidated by him. All he needed to do was hold out his hand and they would provide him with the passenger arrival list and all their personal details; he knew their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, and children, if any, and if he wishes, he can go further and observe them, watch them without them knowing he's even near them. He would quickly become familiar with their habits.

Aleixo may appear to be the most powerful gangster in the city, however, while Aleixo does make his living and was well-known to the public, Edward Cutler was the most prominent gangster in the Aclea. Not just Oros. Edward had threatened those who have attempted to move up in the ranks, and Aleixo has received numerous threats from Edward. Despite Edward's threats, Aleixo continued to put pressure on him. Edward despised Aleixo for ignoring his threats and Aleixo knew that one day, Edward would be forced to the knees and beg for mercy after having sent so many threats and caused so much damage to his gang. He would always live a life of fear, and Aleixo can't help but grant a malevolent smile when he thought or talked about it.

Edward was renowned for his habit of sending heads as gifts. Warnings. It did not matter if you threatened him or not; if you caused him any distress, you would receive a present. Aleixo did not hate Edward per se; it was simply business as usual. You do your best to rise to the top; you eliminate them or they eliminate you. Plain and simple rules, plain and simple solutions.