03. L a t e

This chapter may be a bit crappy...

—————

—————

What has my life come to?

I woke up in a bad mood, only to get a phone call from my father telling me to drive to the Cowen estate.

Red flags were ringing in my ears.

We haven't made contact with the Cowen family for years. And now, out of nowhere, we're suddenly connecting with them again?

Bullshit.

Something is happening. I can feel it in my bones.

And my theory was proven correct when I walked into Jack Cowens office and was slapped in the face with a marriage alliance.

I should've known better than to drive over there without a clue as to what he wanted.

That was just stupid. Plain, fucking stupidity.

Although I was intrigued with the way Eleanor and Jack acted around each other.

For example, when I first talked to Eleanor, I noticed the way her body stiffened when I mention her father. The way her jaw locked, and her fists clenched when we walked in.

Or when I didn't shake his hand, and she let out a small snicker, causing him to turn towards her with a snarl.

It was only a small thing, so I didn't suspect he'd do anything at first. But then as he got closer I watched how her face dropped, she took a deep breath, and froze.

I didn't miss his hand tightening on her arm, or the way she refused to look at him. Instead, looking at the ground.

I didn't particularly like how she hissed when his fingers tightened around a certain part of her arm. Or how Jack basically threw Eleanor towards the seats.

That did not sit right with me at all.

But then again, I've been gone for years. I can't just get back and then start coming to conclusions about her life.

I barely knew her anymore.

I suppose that's a good thing. I may have known everything about her before. But now, I want nothing to do with her.

At first I thought that would be relatively easy. But then we got stuck with this marriage alliance, which makes it a lot harder.

On the outside, I looked somewhat calm. But on the inside, I was fuming.

I knew at some point I would have to marry someone. But of all people, her?

This has to be some kind of sick joke.

They want me to marry my enemy? How utterly stupid could someone be?

Its looks as though Eleanor has changed a lot since I last saw her. Although that was quite a few years ago.