-Chapter 16-

Few days later ~ ◇ ~

The horses clip-clopped down the stone road, the carriage shaking at the occasional loose pebble. 
I looked out the window at the morning sun. Shining beams of light illuminated the carriage seat opposite of mine, in which sat a familiar face. 

"It's your first time going outside of the palace after you fell isn't it My Lady?" Mila said. I blinked, startled. 
Turning to Mila, I replied, "Yes, it is." 
Mila clasped her hands. "It'll be good for you to get some fresh air, Princess. We can stay out the whole day if you'd like." 
"Oh really? I'd love that Mila, it sounds awfully nice," I said. I meant it, too. Getting out of the stuffy palace seemed like the best idea I'd had since coming here. 
There was the matter of Catherine's birthday as well. There was the option of gifting her things the male lead would've given her in the future, but...

It's all too romantic and expensive!!

I silently gritted my teeth. The presents given to Catherine were all bold, akin to a declaration of love. However, strangely Catherine never seemed to realize the meaning the gifts held. 

Even though she didn't seem that dense when I talked to her...

Although the Catherine in the book wouldn't mind, I was pretty sure that the Catherine now would be appalled to receive gifts like that from her older sister. I couldn't give her things like Olivia either, because of the recurring problem of my budget. 

I was too caught up in own thoughts to notice that the carriage had stopped moving. 

"We're here My Lady," Mila said.

"So we are," I responded, trying my best to sound as if I hadn't been daydreaming.
Mila got off first. Lightly jumping off, she stood at the carriage steps before extending her hand to help me get off. I took it, and she smoothly pulled me down. 
"Thanks Mila," I said, grateful. 
"I'm only doing my job, My Lady," She responded almost as smoothly as she'd helped me off. 
"Do you want me to wait here Miss?" The driver asked. 

"That won't be needed, thank you," I said. 

The carriage drove off with the crack of the whip. 

I shook my head before looking up to see the marketplace in all its glory. And glorious it was indeed. The entire area was bustling with people, in a variety of outifts ranging from opulent dresses to plain frocks and the like. It gave me a sense of familiarity from my previous life. Every inch was filled with shops and stalls, with loud voices and the sweet scent of perfume in the air. The architecture looked grand and ornate, with beautiful designs carved into the stone. 

I looked around trying to spot my destination over the heads of aristocratic persons. Navigating my way to a suitable area would be difficult. 
"My Lady, over here," Mila said lightly tapping my shoulder.

I aligned my gaze with hers to see a simple but decently crowded shop, with a sign out front that read 'Pulchritudo'. 

"I've been here a few times before, if My Lady needs a place to start," Mila said. 
"Of course, if you recommend it, then it has to be an amazing place," I replied, beaming. I hoped this shop would at least set me on the right path to finding something for Catherine. 

With Mila leading, I didn't have a problem passing through the hordes. In a few short minutes, we stood outside the door of the shop. The door opened a second before I was about to grab the handle, and someone crashed into me, quite obviously not taking note of their surroundings. 

I stumbled, causing Mila to hurriedly catch me. The other person however, was not so lucky. 

Sprawled on the floor, they painted quite a picture, with the package they were clutching on the ground a few feet in front of them. Passerby grumbled as they stepped around the figure. I couldn't help but take note of their appearance, which was a tad disheveled due to the impact, but otherwise clean. 

"I'm so very sorry, please let me help you up," I said, reaching my hand out. 

"Ah, I am the one who is sorry. Please don't spoil your gloves because of me," They muttered, the voice unmistakably feminine. 

They wore a nondescript cloak which effectively covered their features, and as they reached out to grab the package, I noticed that their hands looked dainty and well kept, certainly not a normal sight for a hooded figure of the shopping district. 
Standing up, she brushed my hand away. "Thank you for your kind consideration," She said, before abruptly walking off. 

"Wait!" I exclaimed, more out of shock than anything else. She halted midstep as she turned her body towards me. 

"Yes?"

I remained silent. Through the hood, I could see her lips twitch into an inquisitive smile. 
"No, um, it's just, I'm sorry for messing up your clothes," I said, very much at a loss for words. 

"My, the lady need not concern herself with something so trivial such as this," She responded. 

"If there is nothing else, I shall take my leave. My deepest apologies for soiling your day." Her tone did not sound the least bit apologetic, almost mocking. 

However, contrary to her words, there was something else. Something I was sure she did not want anyone to see about her person.
The portion covering her head had slipped a little, revealing several strands of messy but unmistakable, polished hair. The stark white stood out, as distinct as the color of bone. 

 Just as soon as I had glimpsed that small evidence of her identity,  the mysterious lady fixed her hood, disappearing into the throngs of people passing by, as I stood there stupidly, my hand still extended, grasping nothing but empty air.