-Chapter 13-

3rd Person POV:

A cool breeze blew inside the opening of the tent. It was a canvas tent, normally used for expeditions and the like.

The sun was low on the horizon, the last rays of light fighting to illuminate the growing shadows.
The sound of faint footsteps on the hard ground alerted the senses of the lonely individual inside the tent.
A young man with brown hair cropped short to his ear stood at the tent flap. A curious scar ran from his ear to meet his lower jaw. "Good evening, my Liège" He said, bowing accordingly.

The man inside the tent turned to him with a subtle nod of his head. The scarred man stepped inside while maintaining his distance to the figure.

He cleared his throat before speaking. "I have news of strange developments on the border. There have been reports of mysterious beasts who's bodies closely resemble those of the Daemons of the past."

The man stilled. He gave a sharp look to the scarred one, and ran a hand through his hair, which was blonde in color.
"If what you've said is true, then not only is the enemy using extremely underhanded methods, but the fires of the past will be awoken," He said coolly. 
"What will the people of the empire think? The horrors of the invasion are still not gone from their minds. Currently we have a false sense of tranquility, which could be destroyed at the slightest collision."

The scarred man frowned, his face grim. "I understand. Should I send in more troops to investigate?"

The blonde man waved his hand in an indifferent manner, though his stance was stiff.
"Tell the troops that are there to investigate further, and send one of the doctors along with a cadet branch located close to the area. There's no use wasting manpower right now."

He looked calm, but his insides were full of turmoil. How could he send more people to the scene? Soldiers often wrote to their loved ones when they had time, and although discouraged, many told them about affairs of war. If too many people found out, the fragile peace built so carefully would be shattered.

He made eye contact with the youth before clenching his hand into a fist.

"Leave."

He bowed his head before retreating slowly, never showing his back to the man.

"I will do as told, Your Highness The Crown Prince."

                                  ~◇~

Catherine's POV:

I sat there, my mind unable to process the words that came out of elder sister's mouth.
Olivia watched us closely, a spark of glee in her eyes at our apparent confusion.

Atalanta came to her senses first, albeit pale, while I sat there unmoving and dull.
"Sorry, what?" She said with her usual eloquent speech. Olivia changed her gaze, her focus settling on Atalanta.
"You heard correctly," She said, obviously happy.

I looked at her smirk and came to my senses as well. I don't know why I was surprised. Sister Olivia had always preferred to give extravagant gifts, though not quite as much as this.

"But why?" I asked.

She smiled at me sweetly. "Because it's your birthday! And because you're thirteen years old in two months! Can you believe it? It's not everyday your youngest sibling enters her teenage," She said, pretending to wipe her eyes with a napkin.
Where on Earth did she get the napkin?

I sighed and looked over at Atalanta. Doing so, I got quite a shock. She looked as if her soul had left her body. I didn't blame her, although it was concerning how easily she seemed to lose consciousness these days.

I turned my focus back to Olivia who watched us with interest.
As I did, I asked something I should've asked a while ago.

"Earlier, you mentioned a picnic on Gillian's Hill. But you said it was for three. Who are the other people?"

"It's your birthday isn't it? Birthdays should be spent with friends!"
"Not with tedious hours doing paperwork..." She grumbled.

I tilted my head. "Which friends?" I asked. I wasn't that close to many people, as I was busy upholding my reputation all the time. Olivia's comment about paperwork had hit the nail right on the head, although I wasn't quite sure who she was referring too

She clasped her hands. "That's for you to decide, Catherine. You can take whoever you wish, whichever people you want to spend time with the most," She said, smiling amiably. 

Hmm. I didn't have many friends. It was sad, but it was the truth. If I invited Atalanta, then one person was taken care of. But would she come? She had been acting differently, but was I overstepping my boundaries? Besides that matter however, who could be the second person? 

Immediately, blinks of white hair and lavender eyes flashed through my memory. I could think of only one person. 

Faye.