-Chapter 5-

( ~ ◇ ~ means time skip)

Catherine POV:

I picked up the sword, its metal gleaming in the sunlight. I felt heavier than it did before, perhaps because my current body wasn't used to holding such weight. I would have to train more, starting from today, to get to where I was before. Maybe I could even improve. I quickly pushed that thought away. Such dreams would not help now. At this time, the only thing I could do was train. Clearing my mind, I picked up the sword and started off with some basic swings.

~ ◇ ~

The sun beat down on my body as I continued to practice. Using a sword felt somehow harder than it used to. Breathing heavily, I wiped the sweat off of my brow with the back of my hand. I knew my limbs would be extremely sore tomorrow, but it was a small price to pay for protection. Squinting, I looked at the sun. Judging by its position, it seemed to be around noon. The maids would be calling me for lunch soon, and the knights would be back from their expedition. I do not think they would appreciate me using their things without their permission. Of course, I could always order them to let me, using my status, but it was always better to be polite. Besides, that would sour my relationship with them, and I could use their help in the future. I adjusted my grip on the sword as I prepared for one last round of practice.

After a while of continuing to strike at the wooden practice dummy, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. It was a person. I couldn't see their face clearly at this angle, but it was obvious that she was a girl. Why was a person here? Normally people weren't allowed at the Ruby Palace. Her eyes seemed mesmerized by my movements. I continued to practice, all while waiting to see what she would do. As the practice dummy finally broke with a loud Crack, I got tired of waiting. Using her momentary distraction as an advantage, I swung the sword towards her neck. She never saw it coming. The lady froze in place as the sword tip made contact with her throat. Finally, I could get a clear look at who she was.
As my eyes met her's, a myriad of emotions went through my head.

Hate, Shock, Fear, Hate, HATE. Happiness?

I tried to mentally console myself, but failed. My left hand shook as a single word left my lips.

"Sister?"