Suyodhana and Krithika

The war was hell. Suyodhana felt lightheaded. His head hurt. Everything was noisy: clang of swords, screams of soldiers, thunder, lightning, roars, thuds of heavy footed creatures, weapons, fire, wind. He didn't know what to do. Where was his daughter, he wondered?

He had hid the nectar, but he knew it ought to be found soon. He touched the pendant necklace on his neck, and once again that heavy feeling in his heart entered once more. Why was he even doing this? Why, instead of someone else, was he chosen to be the Sleeper? Suyodhana could've been with his family, they could've done all sorts of things, they could've brought back Kara, they could've been a happy family. And Aru, oh, his extraordinary, amazing, daughter; she wouldn't grow up to be alone all the time, wondering where her father was, wandering the museum halls, looking for something new, something extraordinary.

And then he saw Aru, zooming into the tower, a determined look on her face. She had found it, he thought. A warm, surge of relief washed over him.

The whispers in his head came. The whispers that had been bothering him for fifteen years, the whispers that made him worse and worse, the whispers that made him hurt people, hurt Kara, hurt Aru, hurt Krithika.

You're doing this for your family, remember? Don't let that girl ruin it, no matter the fact that she's your own. She's part of the reason why you are still like this, whispered the voice in his head.

His mind went blank. The Sleeper prepared to to finish Aru. That little brat could not ruin his plan again; she has done a lot of damage already.  He saw her quickly zooming faster towards the nectar. Rage washed over him, and then-

A scream. A scream from a voice that he could recognize anywhere.

Suyodhana turned his head, and there she was. Krithika. She looked slightly better than she had a few days ago, when she was extremely weak and fragile. He saw his wife and daughter run up to each other, Krithika's eyes swimming in tears. His heart ached, seeing the two of them like that.
Krithika was as beautiful as ever. It seemed that she never aged. Suyodhana realized just how much he missed Krithika, all the times they spent with each other, the intimate moments, all the stupid fights over nothing, he treasured it all. And, even though, he hadn't spent that much time with her, Suyodhana missed Aru.

He was watching them both, mother and daughter, they were talking frantically with each other, when he noticed the tower. They must have noticed it too, because they started backing off. He saw the way Aru was shouting, telling her mom that they can get out. He saw the way Krithika refused. She was telling Aru to get out.

And then, his body acted on his own. He used his powers to pull Aru away from the tower. He saw her flying backward, and her weapon saved her, but at that moment he did not care. He was about to watch Krithika, the only person who made him truly happy, die. He held out his hand, and, with great effort, the falling tower crumbled into ashes. Darkness surrounded them. Krithika turned to him, and her eyes widened. Her face was full of emotion.
His heart was full of ache and relief upon seeing her closely.

"Suyodhana," said Krithika, taking a step toward him. He stared at her, not quite believing what he just did.

"Why? Why is it that no matter what happens, I can't seem to stop caring? I couldn't let it–" He gestured at the rocks, and then he looked back at her. So many questions that he wanted to ask her, so many things that he wanted to tell her. He needed her. He needed to feel love again; he wanted to stop being the Sleeper, and just be a father and a husband, and a friend, and a brother, and uncle. He just wanted a happy family. Was that wish so hard to fulfill?

"It doesn't have to be like this, Suyodhana," Krithika said. "Maybe there is some truth, after all, in starting over. . .but not like this. Not with so much damage. Not with Time overturned and the world laid to waste."

"I cannot see any other way," croaked Suyodhana, and he met Krithika's eyes. The eyes that he fell in love with everytime he looked at. The warm, chocolatey brown eyes that welcomed him, that pierced him, that made his heart go all fluttery.

Krithika held out her hand, and as she did, Suyodhana realized, with a pang, she had her wedding ring on, and it glimmered under his gaze. "Then let us help you see."

Suyodhana looked at Krithika's lifted hand, and then back at her. The woman he loved. Was it possible that he could change? Was this really the fresh start to a better life that he had been looking for for years? Were they finally about to be the family that he desired?

Suyodhana slowly started to lift his hand, his heart about to explode with relief.

The last thing he heard was a girl screaming from afar. And the last thing he saw was the love of his life and a flash of light.
-----------------------------------------------------

sorry this kinda sucked yall, i made this in the middle of the night😭😭