Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

The sound of distant voices and the soft hum of machinery fill the air, adding to the atmosphere of the unknown.

I'm supposed to be following the guards, but as they lead me down a hallway, there are different rooms with windows looking in. I stop, wanting to curb my curiosity.

Each rooms filled with peculiar contraptions and intricate mechanisms—which only leaves me with more questions for Akilah. I can't help but marvel at the ingenuity and craftsmanship that went into this. I want to explore all of it.

People are inside the rooms, hard at work and barely noticing anyone is watching them.

The sight of all these new things is both mesmerising and terrifying, in this strange world that I definitely do not belong in.

A part of me feels that by the time I am am standing in front of Akilah, she is going to laugh at me and tell me that I am, in fact, dead. That she's not really here and this is all just my mind playing tricks before everything blacks out.

But I don't want this to end, strangely. I want to know more about these buildings, about the endless contraptions in these rooms.

It has sparked a strong desire to unravel the secrets that lie within this city.

The guards finally stop in front of a grand door. Both sides are already open, but they shift to each side of the door and gesture for me to enter.

Taking a deep breath, I clench my fingers into fists, my heart racing like a horse on drugs.

The room I step into has walls that are filled with books. In the middle, it seems like a lecture hall or class room with rows and rows of desks.

At the far, far end is a window that looks out over the city. It is beautiful.

Akilah sits there, at the table with some strange black block in front of her.

"It must be beautiful at night," I say, staring out at the view. When it goes dark and that blue light might be spotted among the buildings.

Akilah looks out. "I imagine it would be beautiful, although the sun doesn't set here."

"What? Why—? What?" My brain is like a blank paper needing more; needing ink or words or paint.

"You haven't noticed that the sky is silver?" she asks, almost jokingly. "There is no sun."

"That's not possible."

"Is that not true for everything you have seen here?" I think back to the creatures, to the new language, to the blue light.

I say nothing. "How is there no sun?"

She tilts her chin up. "Because you're under the sea, in Aleamiq. Marhaba." Welcome.

And suddenly that feels true, because I can't breathe. It feels as if I am drowning. I can't bring myself to even fake a laugh.

"You're joking." No, I don't want this. This is not what I signed up for. None of it is. "How do I get out? I want to go back."

"You'll go back, and then what?"

I spin around, wanting to scream. I turn back. "This is insane!"

She nods and leans back in her seat, saying nothing. Her reaction makes me feel like I am insane for freaking out.

But she's right, I can't have gone through all of this for nothing. "That . . ." I point in a random direction. "That book. It spoke about a wish. The . . ." What was the name?

"Night trials."

"If I can get a wish, I could wish for something to get me out of this mess, right?" She stands, turning to look out at the view. I step closer to her, urgency and fear making it feel like I'm buzzing. "Right?"

She laughs and turns to look at me. "It's in two days, and you have no experience of this world. You couldn't possibly win."

"But I could try." Because what else is there? What else could I possibly do. It's the only option.

Her gaze turns to me, and it makes me want to melt into nothingness. Her presence has changed. She feels different, more confident and sure.

"Fine." She picks up her strange black block contraption and starts walking away.

"Wait," I call. She turns, raising her eyebrow. "Aren't . . . Can you help me?"

"You are the kind hearted one, not me, Alara. It is in your name. I choose to be smart, for it is in my name. You're on your own." She says something in the language of this land. Wait, can I call this land if this place is under water? "It means good luck."

And with that, she walks away. I stare at her as she disappears out of sight. The guards follow behind her.

Two days. That's it? How I am I even supposed to know when two days pass? The sun doesn't even set here!

A scream bubbles in my chest. I want to slide to the floor and just never get up.

But my mom. If I never go back for her, what will she think? I'm not giving up, for her.

~~*~~

Who is your favourite music artist at the moment?

For me, I have been listening to a lot of Afrobeats and I am obsessed with Omah Lay's songs. They are such a vibe.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx