Chapter 36 - Pure White Tree

Start from the beginning

The reason Akarna eventually reaches that point is that they quite literally had to tear their blood and flesh out in order to heal people who were clearly sick. They’re always dispatched to a desolate place, forced to bow their heads to the societal norm of this strange world. Their minds become sick.

And Enciertes knew that his physical condition would never have a good effect on someone else’s mind.

When Elandos was still fine, he was proud of his body—however now, it’s nothing but disgusting. If Helka hadn’t forced him to come back in the first place, he wouldn’t have wanted to come to a crowded place like this.

“Anyway, g-get away… Don’t come any closer.”

Enciertes was speaking sharply to keep Jiwoo away from him. In any case, alchemists were unwelcome beings during any era.

Even when the Akarna was being treated as a god in Caranazion, the alchemists criticized them for calling them ordinary people. It was the same in the last few hundred years when the treatment towards the Akarna was changed by the Empire.

They were cast down from unbelievers to heretics.

The reason the alchemist couldn’t contact Akarna wasn’t just because of the temple’s brainwashing.

They didn’t do anything, they just maintained a consistent attitude towards Akarna. Nevertheless, the perception was not good in various places.

So, from the point of view of an alchemist who didn’t have a good reputation anyway, he thought that Seo Jiwoo would retreat if he just snapped at her a few times.

As Jiwoo stayed still without saying a word, Enci thought his words had worked.

“This is the most important thing for me. If you care about something like me and fail your last chance because of it, I will take my own life.”

“……”

Jiwoo ignored him who kept sharpening his words and moved closer.

Enci retreated to the end of the wall and cried out. He put his hand on his body, especially the eye patch that covered his face, and screamed almost like crying.

“C-Can’t you understand any of the words I’m saying?”

“It’s okay. I still want to live…”

Jiwoo was inadvertently surprised by what she said.

I see. I still want to live.

In fact, this had always been the case. Even when she blankly gazed at the sky in the temple, when she met the crown prince and was betrayed by him, she continued to think that she wanted to die—but in fact, it must have been the opposite. She wished to live.

The moment she was hanging on the edge of the cliff, she was figuring out where to go and where to live. Even when she was right at the precipice between life and death. Perhaps even then, Jiwoo let go of the cliff for the sheer reason of wanting to live.

“Now I want to receive a reward as well.”

“Then don’t waste that power…”

“So I’ll heal you first.”

“I said I’m fine!”

“Do you think I, who can heal Elandos, can’t heal you?”

“……”

As Elandos was mentioned, Enci, who had been busy trembling and covering himself until now, stopped moving.

“That, that kind of thing…”