Chapter 45

Jonathan felt on point. There wasn't any other words he could come up with the describe the mishmash of emotions that he rolled through almost constantly. One minute, anxious, the next minute determined. One minute happy that his father would fight for his daughter's freedom, finally. The next, anger that it took it being strategic for him to do so. Mostly it was the thought that Arthur would be busy and he, Jonathan, had to be the strategist at Connor's side, a position he hated his father for training him to do, yet one he loved.

He and Erica went for their run late last night. A few people had been up, even at that hour, and he didn't know if any where spies, but he played up telling Erica they would carry packs to increase the workout. They'd left the camp at an angle, away from their final destination and then circled back, careful for any sign of pursuit.

The parking lot had been empty, the red Ford Explorer right where the Ritter said it would be. The Skinwalkers arrived a few minutes later and reported no sign that they'd been noticed leaving. Erica had said a gushy goodbye to Jazzy while Moth rolled her eyes and told them they needed to hurry.

Jonathan and Erica hiked back. About halfway there they spied a deer stand up in one tree with a man sitting up, doing his best to look casual, as though it were completely normal to sit up in a deer stand for no reason. Erica's eyes narrowed suspiciously but Jonathan could only smile. "They'd not bother to post a guard if they knew they were already gone," he whispered to her.

Back in the camp he gave Amanda and Connor a sign that it went off without a hitch and they made ready for the day's council. Neither Arthur or Soldier showed during breakfast. They were off doing whatever they felt they needed to prep Arthur for his fight that afternoon.

At the council Jonathan sat at Connor's side.

"Your guests?" Lukas commented casually at the outset of the council.

"Made it clear that they don't want to be part of the council," Connor answered vaguely, as Jonathan had coached him too earlier.

Lukas raised and eyebrow.

Over lunch, Jonathan could barely eat as his excitement and worry about what was to come kicked in. And he wasn't even going to have to fight.

Under other circumstances, like last year when Arthur had faced Connor, he would have felt hopeful to see his Dad brought down a peg, proven to be merely a man. But now his sister's freedom hung in the balance.

But could Dad win? Koby was massive. He ranked one of the best in all of the Fleischer tribe. Dad is ranked one of the best in our tribe. Before last year, he was ranked the best. But dad wasn't as young as he once was. He seemed a long shot to win this.

Still between the coup that Soldier had scored at the outset and Arthur's reputation, everyone showed to see the challenge. The crowd was tense, wound up even before the challengers made their appearances.

When Koby showed up, the Fleischers went wild, screaming and cheering. He was shirtless, his muscles bulging on his forearms and biceps. If he had been leaner, he'd be ripped across the chest and abdomen like an action movie star.

Arthur came from the opposite direction with Soldier in tow. Jonathan cheered along with the others, trying to raise as much noise as the others.

Arthur was wearing sweats and a T-shirt. He moved with the same stiff gait he always had and gave no notice to the crowd, as though he were out for a stroll. Only Jonathan, who had a lifetime of reading the man's moods, could see the quiet intensity in his eyes.

"I can't see why it's worth fighting over a slave, a human kin at that," Koby commented as Arthur stepped into the open circle. Jonathan had learned to his disgust that the Fleischers and the Sons of Garm valued full werewolf slaves, like Myrna higher because their healing factor meant they could take more physical abuse.

Jonathan's nerves peaked. It was possible that Arthur would simply agree and walk away, his diversion accomplished. Instead Arthur replied, "Let her go then."

"You bit off more than you can chew, old man," Koby spat.

"We will see." Arthur pulled off his shirt. He was much leaner, with long ropy muscles running up and down his arms. The hair on his chest had gone white, accenting his age.

Lukas served as marshall, not that there where enough rules to make one necessary. It would be no holds barred until one begged for submission.

Lukas called "en guard" and the men circled each other for a long time, neither wanting to close the gap too quickly. There was none of the fancy moves the kick boxer had used, but they'd all seen why that wasn't the smartest approach to no holds barred in the last fight.

Koby moved first, catching Arthur with a quick jab. Arthur answered in kind, tagging Koby as he moved back. They closed, sparred, and then moved back. And so it went. It was one of the longest fights anyone had seen. Koby had more strength, it seemed, but Arthur had more reach and landed many hard jabs to every solid punch Koby got in. And Jonathan, who had sparred with dad many times, knew how much the man could pack into a jab.

Eventually they closed for real and went down. They rolled on the ground for sometime, Koby managing to land a number of hard blows on Arthur's ribs. There was a crack as one gave and the crowd went wild. Jonathan paled. This was when the fight had turned against Arthur when he faced Connor.

This time though, Arthur managed to roll out and catch one of Koby's arms, dragging him down into a choke hold. "Submission?" he snarled.

Koby responded by transforming. He clamped down on Arthur's hand. Visions of Mitch's lost fingers floated through Jonathan's mind.

Instead of pulling his hand away, Arthur jammed his hand down Koby's throat.

Amanda laughed out loud. "Darren always said that was how the old norse would choke a wolf, grab his tongue and squeeze."

Indeed Koby was backpedalling rapidly, making squeaky noises as he went. He got free of Arthur and backed up, hackles rising along his back as he growled. He leaped.

Arthur was still on one knee. He didn't bother to rise, but transformed himself and shot forward, underneath the lunge.

Koby caught him by the hindleg, but Arthur swung around quickly and dealt him a terrible scratch along one side.

They battled as long in wolf form as they had in human. Both were panting, bleeding from multiple scratches and bites and looking on the verge of exhaustion. Arthur's age, in particular, seemed to be telling and he moved slower.

Eventually Koby got on top of him. The crowd was screaming. Jonathan would have thought it was almost over, except that Soldier was screaming, "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

It had been a ploy. A dangerous one given that he'd let Koby on top of him, where he could bite or claw freely. But Arthur had gotten one of Koby's rear legs in his jaws and twisted with a massive snap of his neck. There was a sickening crack and Koby rolled off, howling in pain, his leg broken.

Koby rolled and tried to get to his feet again, but Arthur was on him in a second, forcing him into submission. Everyone was screaming, regardless of which side they supported, their blood up by the long fight.

Jonathan was frozen, watching his dad in the middle of the ring. He had transformed back to human form. He rose, shaky and bleeding. He stood erect and stiff over the form of Koby. He swayed but the man refused to betray any of the pain or weakness he must be feeling on his face.

Soldier came forward with a new pair of sweats. Arthur gave him a short look and Solider bent on his knee in front of his alpha so that Arthur didn't have to bend to step into the pants. Once the sweats were on, he strode off, like he was on stroll around the camp, Soldier again in tow.

Robbie crossed the circle and faced the mob of Fleischers. He looked, for the moment, as strong and fearless as his Alpha. "Grace?" He said.

She stepped out of the pack timidly.

"Come on, you're coming home," he said, holding out his hand. They crossed back, the Leidulf camp cheering again.

Jonathan caught site of Fenrir, his face a mask of rage, as he turned and stomped off to his tent. Then his sister was approaching and Jonathan forgot about the council, politics and all of it. He ran to embrace her.