Chapter 9

Jonathan followed the others up to the main camp. He felt sore but pleased with their performance yesterday. Still, it was good that they had most of today off to meet with the elders. He wasn't in shape for another round of the bruising his dad called training.

Arthur and Robby were waiting at the main camp, along with Jameson, who was the alpha of the elder pack and nominal head of the tribe. In truth, the elder pack was older and the typical alpha, beta, omega distinctions didn't fully apply to them; they all had strengths, weaknesses and responsibility.

Jonathan had seen Aaron's pack doing that lately as well. Aaron sent Vince off into the neutral lands to scout, giving him full authority to talk to wolves from other tribes on Aaron's behalf. Valerie, Aaron's omega, had grown increasingly important to negotiations with other Leidulf packs on inter-tribe business and she was accorded respect wherever she went. It was commonly believed that Aaron's pack would likely be the next set of elders, in many years time.

Perhaps in as many more years after it would be their pack. Jonathan could see himself teaching at Wolf Camp as an older man. Connor and Amanda leading the tribe. Erica, the tribe's top warrior. Tanner the negotiator, keeper of the peace. It was a pleasant fantasy.

They shouldn't count on it, though, not on Aaron and certainly not Connor, Jonathan thought with a shaded look at his father. Only a year ago, most in the tribe had considered him the most likely candidate for future elder. What would it take for him to get back on top? And would he be willing to do it?

Jonathan shoved those thoughts down as two more elders came in with Aaron Leidulf. Aaron stopped to greet his son and then the rest of them. Jonathan liked how Aaron took the time to greet each of Connor's pack personally, how he'd formed some personal relationship with each. Jonathan's dad was a genius at leading people, but Aaron know how to inspire them.

"We wanted to meet a few times and iron out something about the upcoming council in Missouri," Jameson said.

"Missouri?" Connor echoed.

"Yes, the Fleischer representative arrived last night. They've secured a large section of land in Southern Missouri, not far from Branson," Jameson explained. "It's a good choice."

"Mostly," Arthur grumbled.

"Mostly," Jameson admitted. "Close enough for the deep south tribes, the Negelman and the Jaeger."

"But further for us," Aaron groused. "Through neutral lands, but..."

"But with a long stretch of Fleischer and Grimmweir territories to our east the whole way. If they mean to play us false, they will have ample opportunity," Arthur said. "A difficult position, but not unmanageable."

"They have guaranteed safe passage," Jameson said. "And they get to set the place of the council, that is their right. This is not what we are here to discuss. It's the compliment we will send."

"What do you mean, the compliment?" Connor asked. "My pack and I were chosen as ambassadors. What is there to discuss?"

"Some think you are in over your head," one of the other elders snarled. "And an older, wiser head might be a better choice."

"But," Connor sputtered.

"But we've made the selection," Jameson interrupted. "They know who we've selected. If we were to change now..."

"At best, we lose face," Arthur said. "At worst, they accuse of playing them false. They must go, for better or worse."

Jonathan stared at his father, trying to figure out why he was suddenly supporting them.

Bear Naked 4: The Sons of Garmजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें