Chapter 39

The next day Brianna was healed, physically. Her emotions were still raw, hard to filter or control. She almost pleaded not feeling well so she could spend another day alone in the pavilion. But she couldn't. Her alphas needed her to attend the council, if only for moral support, and even if they couldn't admit it.

Amanda pretended she didn't care what the others thought over her losing control. But Brianna had come to know her well enough to sense what went on behind those eyes.

And so she stayed close to her alpha and the two of them endured the walk up to the council area together. Brianna's eyes kept darting through the crowd, half hoping to catch sight of the men so she could identify them, the other half terrified of confronting them again.

Ailana pushed through the crowd and up to Brianna. She pulled her slightly to one side. "I heard," she said. "How terrible. I'm so sorry. If I had known. I should not have let you from my side."

Brianna stared in her face. Ailana looked sincerely sorry. But a hard part of Brianna's mind balked. What if the drug had been in one of the many orangish drinks she'd been given by the Jaeger? What if they had known?

She'd thought she'd remember that night forever. She would, but not as she'd hope. She'd remember it as the last time she gave her trust freely to anyone.

Still, she had no proof and the woman seemed sincere. Brianna nodded. "I know. It's forgiven."

Ailana gave her a quick half hug and faded back to be with her pack. Brianna sighed and made for her pack.

Today's council was a bust, though Brianna was increasingly beginning to agree with Amanda, the whole thing was a waste of time. There would be no peace. Connor, Arthur and Jonathan could enjoy their manoeuvring all they wanted, but Brianna was sick of it.

Today, though was a more direct sort of bust. Fenrir, Lukas announced at the start, was indisposed. No further information was provided. Lukas would hear their concerns and they would convene officially tomorrow. About half the Fleischer packs simply left upon hearing the news.

Around midmorning there was a commotion in the camp, drawing everyone's attention from the half hearted meeting. A growing crowd was following a small group as they approached the council area. Brianna caught sight of who they were and her heart froze.

Moth was in the lead, with her mate, Tommy at her side. As representatives for the Skinwalker tribe they were a good choice. Tommy was broad and muscular, even by werewolf standards. Moth was not someone who was intimidated by anything.

Behind them was Charley, the reason Brianna's heart had stopped and was now beating furiously. She felt herself smile.

He was arm in arm with Jazzy, her alabaster white skin and white puffball hair causing her to stand out even here. But behind the two of them was the rest of Moth's pack and no sign of Tyee or the others of Jazzy's pack.

Charley gave her a nod but his face was set; they were on a mission. Jazzy on the other hand, left his side and dashed over to where they were sitting, waving a greeting as she plopped herself down between Brianna and Erica.

"Thomas and Kimana Kamedeku," a voice called from one of the Takala pack, the Skinwalker's nearest neighbour. "Of the Skinwalkers."

"Kimana?" Erica whispered to Jazzy.

"It means butterfly," Jazzy said. "Don't ever let her catch you using it."

"So Mr. Lightfeather relented after all," Lukas said, "and sent a delegation."

"He did not," Moth contradicted. "We are here with a message for this Fenrir, who would be king of the werewolves. We will say our peace and then be moving on."

"I'm sorry, Fenrir is unavailable today. Perhaps tomorrow."

Moth looked uncertain. "We have a message to deliver," she repeated. "Nothing more."

Lukas met her gaze. "It will have to wait, I guess."

Brianna snorted. She couldn't fathom why Fenrir was "indisposed" but she could see this for what it was, make them wait on Fenrir's convenience.

"We didn't come to stay," Tommy said. "We aren't prepared for it."

"I would be happy to have you in my camp," Connor said. "Be like old times."

Tommy gave Connor and easy look and then turned to Moth. Moth shrugged, still staring at Lukas, her eyes flashing.

"If we must stay," Tommy replied. "It's good we have friends to stay with. Come'on."

Moth and Lukas finally broke their staring match as she turned and their entire pack came over to where Brianna and the others were sitting. Arthur was giving Connor a pat on the back, the obvious friendship with the Skinwalkers another small coup for their side.

"I'm glad," Jazzy declared. "I was hating the thought of just showing for the day and not getting any time to catch up."