chapter 44

They all stayed close to camp that night. The Fleischers made no move against the Skinwalkers, but no one expected them to while they were still in camp. They were split about whether or not the Fleischer would try anything once they left.

"They're just getting your goat," Vince said. "Trying to rattle your cage. Heck even without the whole 'council peace flag' bullshit, to attack another tribe openly without provocation would be bad, really bad. They know that."

"I'm not so sure," Connor sulked. "I wouldn't put anything past them."

"But with their best fighter stuck in camp," Robbie said. "Even if they did try to follow..."

"We could take them," Moth said.

"An ambush on the road, though," Jazzy said. "Hard to fight back against and they could make it look like a car accident."

"Or get you injured and then it's not much of a fight," Tanner said.

"That's what Loki's pack tried to do to us," Erica said, remembering their first encounter with them.

Amanda recalled it, too. She recalled the stress and fear. And they didn't know they were being followed until almost the last minute. The Skinwalkers had a nearly twenty hour drive ahead of them, under the same stress. All the Fleischer's would have to do is to push them a little. It'd be all too easy to have an accident when the stress wore them down.

"If they follow," Tommy said. "We stop. Face them down. Unless they got a ton of packs, we'll teach them a lesson about underestimating us."

"You are all good fighters, I don't doubt," Aaron said. "But if they outnumber you, depending on what they have in mind, you won't stand a chance. I say run. But don't run for home. They'll expect that. Run for Iowa. I'll contact some of our people." He looked at the Skollsen ambassador, who had followed them back to their camp. The man nodded. "We'll get a team of Leidulf and Skollsens to hook up with you there. They can escort you back home."

Moth stared at Aaron hard, as though it was hard for her to trust. Amanda understood the feeling. "You guys stood with us, when it was the right thing," Amanda reminded her. "We feel the same way."

"And Iowa's a lot closer," Robbie said. "If our people start out at the same time, you could hook up in Des Moines, say. Only five, six hours."

"And from there you can take I-80 home," Aaron said. "Even the Fleischer's won't try something on the interstate. Human authorities would be breathing down their necks in no time."

"Sounds like a good plan," Moth replied with a faint smile.

There was a noise at the door flap and one of the Ritters appeared. He stepped inside. He looked around and approached Moth and Tommy. "What you guys driving?"

Moth gave him a suspicious look.

"What do you have in mind?" Amanda asked him.

He held out a set of keys. "Got an older Ford Explorer at the north entry park, about a mile from here."

Moth smiled again. Charley rose and handed out a set of keys. "An older white cargo van. South lot, five mile hike."

The man shrugged. "Got plenty of time."

"It's seen better days," Charley cautioned him.

"Then we made an even trade." The man turned and left.

Tanner had his phone up with google maps. "Out of the north lot, in a vehicle they don't expect, be a good head start. Here, take this route."

"What if it's a trap?"

"I don't think it is," Amanda said. "But some of us should go with them to the parking lot, just I case. Late, under darkness. Get them off the grounds as quietly as possible."

"Erica and I will take a midnight run," Jonathan said. "With backpacks, a little extra weight, you know. They can leave in wolf form, from behind the tents. We'll meet them there with the keys and clothes."

"Sounds like a good plan," Connor said, clapping Jonathan on the shoulder.