𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 • ℂ𝕠𝕝𝕕 𝕄𝕠𝕠𝕟 𝔽𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕧𝕒𝕝

Start from the beginning

        "So," I bite my lip, hoping I am not pushing my luck by asking, "Does this mean you will let me leave the palace when I want to without having to tell you?"

        A long breath of air leaves his lungs, thinking about how to answer. I prepare for him to form a negation, but then he takes me by surprise. "I would still like to know where you are going," he says, "but if you prefer not to tell me. . . I promise to respect it. And I will nonetheless request that you are regarding your safety when you leave, but yes, you can travel wherever your heart is content. Within reason."

        I can't help the wide smile that is plastered to my face. I kiss him over and over again until we are both dizzy with delight. A weight has been lifted from my chest. For so long, I felt trapped within the walls of the Grand Palace, but now I have been given my freedom. No more shackles or locked bedroom doors.

"I'm glad to see you happy, my Alina," he says with a joyful tone, but through the tether, I sense a certain uneasiness.

"Don't worry," I whisper against his cheek before placing a tender kiss there. "I won't run off the second I get a chance."

Aleksander's muscles untense after I reassure him, but there is still something bothering him. "What's the matter?" I inquire.

I can see him struggling to explain his emotions with the raging war inside his enigmatic mind. Being with him for this long has helped me see through his calculated responses and protective barricade. Slowly but surely, his walls are coming down around me, but he still needs help sometimes with not crushing his emotions down into a dark place for no one to see.

"I want you to promise me something," he says at last. Aleksander remains on top of me, arms caging me in, looking down at me with those eyes that still make my heart skip a beat when they stray to me.

        "Okay." My throat bobs up and down.

        "Promise me that you will love me, even if I am not entitled to your love, no matter how many mistakes I make."

        "I thought you didn't make mistakes," I smile, remembering our conversation when we first met.

        He remembers it too and quotes himself. "I do. Just not often."

        My smile falters and I feel a harsh wave of guilt crash down on me. I forgot that while we were quarreling, I told him that I did not love him. I do! I do love him. Aleksander may still struggle with his morality, and what he did to me was not okay, but while he was hurting, I pulled away from him. Neither of us were without fault. We both certainly have more learning to do, but that's alright. That is what relationships are.

        "I'm sorry," I lament. A woeful tear trickles down my cheek. "I love you, Aleksander. I love you."

        "I know," he coos softly. "I know."

        "No," I say, shaking my head. "I don't think you know how much I love you. I promise to tell you every hour of every day if that's what it takes. I love you, Aleksander Morozova." His brows raise in surprise, and he finally understands how much I mean it when I say, "I love you."

        "And I love you, Alina Morozova, for all of eternity."

        "For all of eternity," I return. Aleksander buries his face in my neck as we hold each other in a tight embrace. I keep whispering "I love you," while it is muffled by his shoulder pressed against me. And I will continue to tell him for as long as he needs.

        I love you.

***

        Amelia is practically bouncing off of the carriage walls by the time we see the festival out the window. Her eyes widen to the size of dinner plates as she stays glued to the window. She is much like me in the respects of not being experienced in exploring the outside world. Hopefully that will all change now.