Chapter 66-Amara and Roman

Start from the beginning

I wake to Roman picking me up, oops. I should have known that was a trap; I don't ever just "close my eyes for a few minutes." I yawn

"I can walk," I tell him.

"I know. Doesn't mean you need to," he tells me, pressing a kiss to my temple and portaling us to our room.

"I think portaling is making you lazy," I say, hopping out of his arms, discarding my clothes, and crawling into bed.

"I like to think of it as preserving energy," he says, crawling beside me and pulling my back to his chest. I just shake my head.

"You have the night patrols on high alert tonight? And the Fae, demons, and vampires, who will stay up?" I ask him

"Yes, dear," he says mockingly; I pinch the skin on his hand. "Hey, that was rude."

I just shake my head and wiggle closer, pulling the blanket up and tucking it under my chin.

Any sleep I get isn't restful; if I'm not tossing and turning, I'm getting up to pee. I look at my snoring mate and brush his loose, long hair out of his face. I'll let him rest; he'll be up soon enough. They're coming tonight; I know it in my bones. I glance at the clock. 11:23. I sigh, laying back down and closing my eyes. Some sleep is better than no sleep, I guess.

I wake as Roman shoots up. I'm instantly out of bed and throwing clothes on, knowing it's time; he follows.

"The shadows say they're only moving our way, towards the southern border. We have time to rally everyone into position," he says

I only nod, adrenaline already flooding me, as he comes to me and grabs my shoulders, looking me dead in the eyes.

"Please just stay, hide in the bunkers, or better, go to the underworld. No one has to know you didn't fight tonight," he begs me in one last anguished attempt.

I look into his eyes. I can see the desperation and practically hear Adonis screaming at him to force me into submission, his own instincts telling him to do the same. But that's not who he is; that's not the mate I need him to be. I grab his wrists and move his hands so he's cupping my face.

"You know I can't," I tell him.

This is my fight; I will not be that same seventeen-year-old girl hiding in a tree while I watch everyone I love die for me. I will not. I will never be that helpless little broken girl again. Roman only sucks in a breath, closing his eyes and nodding before he pulls me to him, his hand in my hair and the other around my back as he crushes me to his chest.

"I'll come back to you if you come back to me," I say as I lift my head from his chest and pull him down for a kiss.

His kiss is as desperate as his words, but I take it all as he moves his lips against mine, his tongue fighting mine for dominance that I give over, and his hands squeezing my ass, pulling me closer. We're both breathing heavily when he pulls away after a few minutes.

"Come on, baby. It's time to go," he tells me, and then he grabs my hand and portals us to the woods near the southern border.

What we come into is the face of calm determination. Demon, wolf, Fae, and the few vampires are assuming their positions. Thayer, Dhalia, and four other Fae are stationed in a tree with a clear shot at the moon, ready for when they hit our go point.

"Ten minutes out," he whispers to my dad before I hear it flitter through the mind link as well.

Aylin and Azrael appear next to me, both with their wings on full display. Aylin grabs my arm, but my father puts a hand up before he comes up and pulls us both in his massive arms.