Power flickers through the room, making everyone except my father and me tense. I look at her, unable to hide my worry, wanting to make sure she's mentally okay. She holds her chin high and meets no one's gaze. This, here, was the Queen of the Underworld, all elegance and all power. I watch everyone else relax as she reigns her power in

She still doesn't meet my gaze, but her eyes go to Damon, nostrils flaring. She sits beside me, and I can hear her heart racing. I instantly flick my gaze to him; if he had anything to do with what happened to her, greater good bullshit or not, I would present his head to her on a silver platter. When I look at him, though, I see his eyes are soft as he looks at her. What the hell happened there?

"I apologize for the delay. Let's get started," she says in a crisp and modulated tone, clearly still in Queen mode.

Roman clears his throat before he speaks; I can sense his mood change to a more formal tone through the bond as he reacts to the mood she brought into the room. Everyone else straightens as they feel it too.

"Very well. As we all know, these two vampires escaped with Amara, bringing her to safety. Before they handed her over to Seth, they told him and Queen Aylin they were the leaders of a resistance against Silas. We're here for them to explain themselves and offer any information they have on Silas. From there, we plan our move. Damon and Samirah, please speak." he finishes, and Samirah stands.

"I won't waste anyone's time. I started the resistance roughly a hundred and twenty years ago as a victim of Silas' reign. I was originally human, changed back in the 1800s by one of Silas' men, who came to my tribe in South Africa with an order to forcibly change as many people as possible for Silas to use in his armies. My husband did not survive the transition, and my son was killed in the crossfire. I managed to hide after being bitten and survived the transition.

I traveled the world for just under a hundred years trying to find the man responsible for the death of my husband, son, and tribe. I found my brother when I came to America in the early 1900s. He led me directly to Silas. My brother was one of his most trusted men, so I quickly became one of his most trusted as well. For years, I gathered his victims-countless, women he allowed his warriors to rape and abuse, the husbands and fathers of those women, and their children who were hidden away. From there, I began to reach out to his people. While most would be happy to see him fall, and of those, many were too scared to rise to challenge him. So, my numbers aren't his or yours. But I can offer my aid and my knowledge, as can Damon. All we ask for is your support in a new world order amongst the vampires." she finishes.

The room is silent for a minute as we absorb what she says. So, she lied to me about how her family died, which I understand. What I don't understand is the dynamic of Silas as a king and how he can control his people. Alpha wolves have the command, and the pack dynamic is in our DNA. That's why rogues have such a low survival rate and go rabid when they leave pack life. Also, why not escape with me when the Romans invaded the first day?

"And what of you? What's your involvement with this?" Roman says to Damon

"Silas and his warriors raped and killed my mother and sisters. My father was one of the first to join Samirah, and he died in combat shortly after, so I took his place. I started in Silas' army and worked my way up to the top, pretending to be his loyal subject." Damon says simply

"And why not escape with me that first day?" I ask them both

"We had no plan. The likelihood of us escaping without Amon killing us both and taking you was slim, and even if that had happened, we would have been torn to shreds by the first wolf who found us with you. While we were sympathetic to you, we also had to think of the vampires we were trying to liberate. Us getting killed was not an option." Samirah says, eliciting a growl from Roman, and even Tamisra, who was thinking of the harm our child was put in for that time.

I put a hand on his arm. While I don't appreciate being a pawn in their own agenda, I understand it, and in the end, they got me and our baby out unharmed.

"And your people, where are they now?" Aylin asks

"Where they've always been. Hidden in plain sight. Most are still in Silas' kingdom, some are his warriors stationed at his hideouts, and some are the women and children Samirah and I helped escape and have hidden in a safe location." Damon says

"And where would that be?" she says

Both remain silent for a second, looking uneasy, before Samirah speaks

"You must understand the horrors they have been through and our reluctance to give up their location. Some are a long way off from being ready to fight, and that is their sanctuary. It would result in a lot of trust and healing loss if we brought you all there. I have ways to bring word to the ones ready to fight should you agree to our terms."

"You expect us to believe they allow you, a male vampire, and one of Silas' most trusted, in their sanctuary?" Aylin snaps at Damon

"I never laid a hand on any single one of those women or children. They have their reasons for trusting me, and it is not without a lot of caution on my end," Damon snaps back.

I watch as they hold each other's glares, the tension in the room rising as Aylin lets a little of the reign she has on her powers loose. Azrael puts a hand on Aylin's shoulder in an attempt to calm her, but she holds the vampire's glare until he looks away. Samirah looks between them with a calculating gleam in her eye before she speaks to Aylin.

"Your majesty, I can vouch on his behalf if I may. Damon has gotten just as many women out of there as I have. While he does indeed have to tread lightly around newcomers, the girls who have been there know and reassure the frightened ones. Some women have been hiding there for over a hundred years and help the new ones. The healed take care of the healing and trust one another," she says softly.

"Very well." Roman cuts in, "We don't need their location. I will happily offer my support and aid to your cause; I have no interest in allowing the innocent to suffer. At this moment, we must move as quickly as possible. I don't want to give Silas more time to conspire, and I have no intention of him being a threat when my daughter is born."

"I understand. We will happily give over everything we know," Damon says