"Because you walked out right after he said you, giving me money was really creative" he said

"So?" I asked "Why would I get pissed because of what he said?"

He shrugged.

"Don't know" he said "We thought it offended you. We thought you misinterpreted him like, maybe you thought he meant you have no originality or something"

"I just feel guilty because I didn't give you anything" I said

"What? You gave me money"

"That's not enough" I said "Or at least that's what I think"

Luke didn't say anything.

"I even thought Helena has the most pathetic present ever, but at least she has some kind of originality. At least she has something for you"

"And, you're upset because?" he said

"I'm not upset" I said "I'm just embarrassed"

"You're embarrassed?!" he said "I should be the one feeling embarrassed. You gave me £40"

"It's your birthday. People can give you anything they want and you can ask them anything you want"

He gave a small laugh.

"It doesn't go that way" he said "Birthdays don't go that way. If you don't have a present for me, then, fine! I don't care. I don't care about presents at all. And you're embarrassed? Why the devil would you be embarrassed?"

"Because you took me to London on my birthday, gave me cupcakes, orchids, a ride on the London Eye, took me shopping at Oxford Street, everything. I wasn't even your girlfriend yet" I said "Sometimes I feel like you've been pampering me and spoiling me too much"

"So what if I'm pampering you or spoiling you?" he asked

"I don't give back to you" I said "And, I'm not bragging or anything, but I'm already used to being spoiled. Spoiling me even more could ruin things because I might get used to it even more" I said, and then I picked my stuff up "Don't think I'm upset with you or something, but, I gotta go. See you around"

***

It was almost 12:00. Helena was already sleeping. I pretended to be asleep when she came in because I didn't want to talk to her. Not because I was angry at her or anything, but because I know we have nothing to say to each other, and it would be really awkward if we know we're both present at the moment but refuse to say a word to each other. Once I knew she was already asleep, I got up and studied for Math.

My phone started ringing a few minutes later, which woke Helena up...dammit!

"Bloody hell!" Helena got up "Who's calling you at this hour?"

I rolled my eyes, closed my notebook and grabbed my phone...

"It's Ben-" I said, and then I picked it up "Hello?"

"Joe?" Ben said

"What is up with you?!" I said "Why would you call me this late at night?!"

"Joe, I'm sorry, but this is important" he said

"What happened?" I asked "Is it bad?"

"No, it's not" he said "Well, your dad will be in London for a Teacher's Conference from Friday to Sunday night, and I my sister wanted me to come and visit her for the weekend and Callum said he'll be staying there for the weekend"

"Great!" I said "So, that's the so-called important news you have for me?"

"Yeah, that's it" he said