chapter 55 - my family

Kaz had always been protective of Cara however after he realized he was going to be a dad he became overprotective, Cara found it kind of cute. Kaz stayed home a lot more, going to ketterdam only once a week for meetings or to sort some things with the club or the slat. He always kept an eye on Cara and was next to her in moment when the sickness came or when she wasn't feeling well.

Cara could see he tried his absolute best to be loving and to give her comfort. What did irritate Cara however was that he forbade her to ride any horse. Leaving ben with most of the work however Cara tried her best to help ben as much as kaz would allow her to.

the first 3 months she was still allowed to work her field at least so she did a lot of gardening work. Kaz had immediately ordered a wall to be build around the property the day she had told him, the wall was pretty much finished by now. It was a simple brick wall all around but with the addition of spikes that would come out if somebody were to try and climb the wall.

when the 3 month mark passed Cara's belly started to grow and it became harder to keep secret from the other crows, they all had their suspicions but none dated to say it out loud afraid the bastard of the barrel was around the corner to hear it. The crows still came by a lot but never stayed long as they all had their own lives to deal with.

kaz and Cara spend a lot of time together, they often visited the spot on the beach where they got engaged and married. They liked to sit on the small hill overlooking the ocean and just talk about stuff, they could talk for hours without getting bored and they often spend the whole day there.

around the 6 month mark is when kaz started getting more anxious about possible complications. It was widely known that giving birth could cause problems for the mother, sometimes even be fatal. It became kaz's worst nightmare for weeks and he was quick to arrange for doctors and nurses to be on standby.

Cara tried to distract the poor man with whatever she could, one of them was discussing what they should name the child. A lot of names were said in those discussions, however at some point Cara had asked if kaz would be alright if they named the baby Jordie if it was a boy. Kaz had scowled at first but Cara could see that it would mean a lot to him so when he had nodded she had agreed with herself that Jordie would be the name they would name the baby of it was a boy. If the baby would be a girl they decided on the name anna.

together they furnished the previously empty room upstairs into a child's bedroom. Kaz did not let her do much but she convinced him that painting wouldn't hurt her. at this point the crows had not been invited to the house for a while but Cara finally convinced kaz to come clean to them and they invited everybody at once to announce the pregnancy, except for inej as she was out on sea. They would tell her as soon as she would come back to land they decided.

it was hard to hide now and of course the crows knew now before they even told them, they were all so happy for them, especially nina who threatened the other crows into making sure she got the most babysitting time. Wylan was very excited and had politely asked to touch Cara's belly and when the baby kicked the look on wylans face to cute for words. Meanwhile jesper had been joking with kaz saying they he never thought kaz would manage to make love to a woman.

the due date came closer and closer and Carry's belly was absolutely huge, even the doctors said it was unusually big which made kaz even more anxious. By now the doctor came by every day to check up on her on kaz's orders. She was not allowed to leave the house anymore and kaz had prepared everything they would possibly need in the work room, he had asked the poor doctors at least 10 times if there was anything else he needed to get.

Cara was sure her husband was even more stressed about this than she was. It was a cold Wednesday morning when her water broke. "kaz it's happening!" she heard a stumble and a chair fall over in the other room as kaz appeared in the kitchen where Cara had been getting a glass of water. He rushed over to her side, his cane forgotten in the library as he helped her sit down.

then he rushed towards the door and threw it open screaming at the guard he had stationed outside his house to get the doctor and nurses before rushing back to his wife. Cara could see the utter fear in his eyes as her own face contorted from pain. "kaz everything will be alright" she reached her hand out to him and he quickly grabbed it kneeling down next to her.

in between contractions he helped her to the work room where everything was prepared, he laid her down and took a seat by her side. He was trembling from the stress and from the thought of her not making it. Cara reached out a hand to cup his face and he leaned over to kiss her forehead softly.

when the doctor and nurses arrived Cara was already screaming out in pain. Kaz felt helpless as he just watched her, he wanted to help her but he knew that only the doctors could help right now. It was an agonizing time, every scream she let out his heart broke for her but he wouldn't leave the room. He was staying there for her, he held her hand in his gloved ones as he sat next to her, he was sure his hand would be bruised by the end of the day.

"come on mrs brekker you need to push now. The worst part is over, push!" the nurse helping to deliver the baby called out. Another scream escaped Cara's lips as she pushed but when she was out of breath kaz could hear something magical. He could hear a baby crying. The nurse moved quickly and cut the cord, quickly wrapping the baby in a blanked. The nurse handed the baby to Cara and then turned to kaz.

"congratulations, you have a son." Tears sprang to his eyes as he looked at Cara, she nodded at him knowing what was running through his mind. "Jordie brekker . . . " the name left his lips as the tears fell over his cheeks. "would you like to hold him?" Cara asked kaz as soft as she could. He hesitated for a moment but quickly put himself over his fear and nodded reaching for the baby.

he took the baby from Cara and quickly sat back down on the chair holding the baby to his chest as he cried, a sob escaping him. out of the corner of his eye he saw the nurses move quickly all of a sudden and speaking to one another quickly, to quickly for him to understand. "what is happening?" he asked them. he looked to Cara and saw that her face contorted from pain again. "is everything alright?! Wat is happening?!" he yelled at the nurses.

one of the nurses took her place at Cara's feet again while the other one turned to kaz. "the second one is coming. The head is already out." Kaz could not believe his ears. "a second one?!"

-----------------------------

after the nurses and the doctor assured kaz that Cara would be just fine before leaving his nerves finally calmed down. he was holding little Jordie in his arms while Cara was holding little Felix in her arms. Twin boys. He still couldn't believe it. He had already ordered one of the dregs stationed outside to get them a second crib. 'steal it if you have to, just get it here as soon as possible' he had told the dreg.

both babies were sound asleep, the doctor had said they both looked healthy and that Cara would recover in a few days. everything was going to be alright. He slowly stood up and placed a sleeping Jordie in the crib before taking a sleeping felix out of Cara's arms so she could get some rest to. "I love you" he whispered to his wife. She smiled at him to weak to say it back right now but he did not care, he knew.

soon the dreg entered the house and silently placed the crib next to jordie's and left without saying a word. kaz looked at felix once more making sure he was breathing right before standing up and walking over to the crib placing felix down. he stood at the end of both cribs.

he reflected on his life. 2 years ago from now he would have never thought he would be able to kiss a person let alone have a relationship. He glanced over his shoulder to his sleeping wife. She was everything to him, she thought him how to be brave enough to face his fears and trauma, understood him even when he had difficulty speaking his mind. She had thought him how to love, something he would be eternally grateful for.

he had always said love makes you weak, but he understood now that this was not the case at all. In a matter of fact love made you strong, it gives a reason to fight not only for yourself but for the person you love. It makes you do things you never could have done alone.

he fell for her hard, loved her more than his own life. She pulled him out of the ocean that he was drowning in without even knowing it. He would give her the world.

he looked back at the little boys sleeping soundly, his little boys. He hada family now, he would protect them and take care of them. love them until theend of his days. give them everything he has and more. he looked back to Caraonce more and walked over to her. "thank you" he whispered as he pressed a kissto her forehead.

AN: that's it folks! I have 1 more chapter left to write where I will give you all a look into their future. If any of you have any questions about this story or anything you would want to know please let me know and I will answer all of them. I know I am not the best writer out here but I hope you have enjoyed my story. I had fun writing it and I realize I could have gone on for a lot longer however I think I might save my ideas for another book 😉