chapter 17 home sweet home

In the morning they made their way towards the docks. They had put Hannah in a cabin on her own and locked it. Kaz had to physically push Cara onto the boat and they soon left the harbor.

the sea was calm, almost no wind at all that day so Cara decided she was going to spend the day on the deck of the ship. She sat down on some boxes looking over the water.

all the crows were doing their own thing, inej was in the crows nest, nina and Matthias were talking to each other. Jesper was pointing at something out at sea while discussing something with wylan and kaz ... was sneaking up on her.

"how are you feeling?" he stood behind her both his hands on top of his cane. She turned to him. "as long as the wind doesn't pick up I think we are good." He grinned at her.

"see not that bad." she glared at him and turned back to the water. "so uum I was wondering" she turned back to kaz and when he didn't continue talking she cocked an eyebrow.

"do you want to, you know, sleep with me tonight?" Cara burst out laughing.

"for such a genius you sometimes really have a bad choice of words." Cara saw a blush form on his face but decided to not tease him any longer as she was still proud of him for opening up to her.

"of course kaz, but only if you want me to. If you have a bad day just let me know alright and I will sleep in my own cabin." He nodded. Cara knew he still had his bad days. she could feel it sometimes and she certainly did not want to make him uncomfortable.

they stayed like that for a while. Kaz rested his head on Cara's shoulder as they both looked at the waves of the sea. It was quite peaceful. Until the wind picked up.

---------------------

they were almost back home. Cara thought she could already smell ketterdam. She was so excited that she packed her things up and already put them on the deck so she could jump off the boat as soon as she could.

when ketterdam came into view she was already on the deck. The other crows watched in amusement as cara was pacing back and forth on the deck, waiting for land to come closer.

she did not even wait until the boat was docked, as soon as she felt she could make the jump she jumped to land. She had already told kaz she was going to her horses as soon as they landed and he was okay with that.

she wasted no time and headed straight for the forest clearing. Once she arrived she whistled her horses and to her surprise it was not 2 but 3 horses that came into the clearing. "and who might you be?" she asked the blue roan.

she approached the horse carefully but it seemed pretty friendly. In fact it was a mare so she decided to name the horse moon. From her teeth she guessed she was around 10 years old. She must have run away from somebody, she had a few scratches all over her body but she did not have a fever so Cara decided she was probably not sick.

so Cara spend her day training moon and venus, venus of course was on his worst behavior. Stubborn horse. Moon was delightful, she was definitely trained before. She made a lot of progress with her that day, even trying to introduce her to her wolf form.

she was standing next to the horses as her big wolf form when kaz entered the clearing. She quickly changed back and walked up to him with her horses following behind her. "the exchange was made for Hannah, your cut of the money is at the crow club."

Cara nodded. And was about to say something when elvis pushed passed her and nuzzled kaz, sniffing his pockets. Kaz pulled out a treat and gave it to the horse. "now I know why elvis likes you so much."

kaz grinned and stroked elvis. Who knew the kaz brekker might have a soft spot for horses, or at least elvis. Elvis was still tacked up as Cara had already done a few exercises with the horse and suddenly without kaz asking him to he laid on the ground looking at kaz.

kaz looked over at Cara a bit confused while Cara giggled "he wants you to get on kaz, that's what u get for giving him treats, now you have your duties as a pet parent." Kaz grinned and attached his cane to the saddle and got on elvis.

the horse immediately stood up and waited for kaz to give him a command. They trotted off leaving Cara in the clearing. she knew kaz wanted her to follow them so she shifted to her wolf and followed the scent of them.

she quickly found them as they were headed to the beach. As soon as Kaz saw her leaving the forest edge he and elvis broke into a gallop down the beach. Oh so this was a race now. She heard hooves behind her and both moon and venus flew passed her.

She wasted no more time and went after them, it had been to long since she had a proper run in her wolf form. She loved the feeling of wind trough her fur as she pushed herself faster. Damn when did elvis get this fast. He and kaz were working together as a unit, it was quite beautiful to see.

they ran a long way on the beach like that, Cara has opened her mouth with her tongue out enjoying the moment as also maybe because she felt like she was going to fall dead from exhaustion. Horses definitely had better stamina than her.

when elvis finally came to a halt she went down with a thud as she was catching her breath. "I win" kaz simply said when Cara turned her head to glare at him he laughed. The kaz brekker laughed.

------------------

"I am exhausted." Cara said as they entered the slat. Kaz smirked at her. she made her way upstairs to shower while kaz stayed downstairs to talk to some gang members to find out if anything had happened I their absence. When she was done showering she changed her outfit and went back downstairs.

she sat at the bar and ordered a thee while she opened her book to start drawing. After a little while she felt to tired to continue so she made her way upstairs, she walked down the hall and as she turned the key to her room she was interrupted.

"what are you doing?" kaz had come upstairs and was making his way towards her. she turned to him. "opening the door to my room?" she looked quite confused at kaz and once he made his way next to her he put his cane against the wall.

he took her hand with his left hand and placed an item in her hand with his right hand. "why don't you open the door to our room instead?" he smirked at her as she figured out what he meant.

"are you sure? I don't want to intrude.." he quickly placed his hand on her cheek and kissed her quickly. "you could never."

"well can I at least get my clothes?" He grinned at her. "already got that covered." She widened her eyes, he knew she wouldn't refuse him.

"you sneaky bastard." She playfully said. She took her key back out of the lock and headed down to the end of the hallway to the door with the big crow on it. She put in the key kaz had given her and opened the door.

all her stuff was here already, kaz had carefully put her stuff on shelves. She walked over to a dresser where her picture of her and her mom were with the wooden figure of the wolf. She took the wolf in her hands silently.

she felt kaz stand behind her. "this is the last thing I have from my dad, he gave it to me when I was a baby." Kaz did not say anything but placed a hand on her shoulder instead.

"they forced him to fight in a land I don't know, then he was killed. My mom told me he had died in battle but I know he didn't. he was killed like every other 'monster' shifter." Cara placed the wolf back in its spot.

she turned to kaz "thank you, for everything" he hugged her tight for a few seconds. "you should get some sleep, me and Alvis kicking your but must have been exhausting." She playfully slapped his chest.

"you only won because I trained my horses well."kaz smirked but did not respond as he opened the door to his office.

Cara quickly changed into her pajama's and got under the covers. She was on the brink of falling asleep when she felt the bed dip next to her as kaz got in. she did not dare to move as she wanted to see what he would do.

her back was turned to him and he seemed to think for a minute but then positioned himself so he was facing her and lazily draped a loose arm around her as they both fell asleep peacefully.