Chapter 13

Neil's P.O.V.

It's a wonderful day. As I drive through the pleasant weather to go to work. Sunny but not hot. Windy but not too much. White clouds fill up the beautiful blue sky. The weather's perfect, just like my life seems to be as of now. Five days, I've been Audrey's Dada. Three days of absolute bliss.

As I'm driving by a park, something in me makes me pull over. I look over to see little children playing. Playing with their parents.

Realisation hits me like a brick.

All these years, we have longed for a child. Millie and I have been so desperate to have a little one in our family. And by God's grace, now that we have our little Audrey; what are we doing? Going to fucking work? To make money, that we have made plenty of, in these years?

I feel ashamed.

Now that I think of it, we have never gone out to do anything as a family. Every activity we have done together, is inside the house. And it's not like we didn't have any chance. Millie and I have had plenty of chances. Few weeks of chances.

It needs to stop. Right this morning.

First things first, I inform my P.A. of my absence in the office today. Also telling her to schedule my weeks.

Now, I call my dear wife. The phone rings a couple of times before she picks up. "Babe, everything alright?"

Before I could answer I hear her speaking in the background. "Baby, come here. No shoes on the couch." She tells our naughty child. She is the sweetest baby, but every baby has a mischievous side, right?

I laugh. "Are you there?" I continue speaking only after I get confirmation. "Don't leave for your office. I'm coming home."

"Why, what happened?" She asks, her voice laced with concern.

"Everything is fine. Don't worry. Just stay in the house." I tell her over the phone.

"Okay. But can I atleast get a reason?" She asks, out of breath. Out of breath? Audrey is giving her Mama a run for her money.

"I'll explain when I get there. Love you." I hang up before she can reply. My wife's paranoia will make her keep asking.

..

I hear commotion just as I enter my home. My child is too energised today.

"Precious! Where are you?"

"Dada!" Audrey comes running towards me, giggling.

"What are you up to, huh?" I pick her up in my arms, kissing her forehead.

"Mama chasin' me!" She tells me, giggling.

"And why's that?" I ask as I start walking inside.

My little girl puts her tiny fingers on her chin as if she is thinking. "Mama being mean!"

"That doesn't sound like Mama very much, does it? Did you do something?" I can see Audrey thinking it through.

"Won' let me run on couch!" Munchkin tells me as if it's a legit reason.

Before I can say anything more, Millie finds us. "Oh, thank God you got her!"

"Come on, baby. I have to get your hair done." She tries to take Audrey.

"You go get changed, I'll do her hair. And get her out of these dark mundane clothes." I tell my wife. Millie dresses our girl in darker colours for office, which I don't like. Babies are supposed to be in bright clothes!

"What do you mean? I'm ready." Millie replies. "And what did you come back exactly for? Everything's alright, right?"

"Yes, yes. Everything is fine. We are just going to have a day out at the forest park. So, get changed." I explain to my wife.