nine.

Agents continued to yell at one another as Steve and Vera arrived at the chaotic scene. Steve pushed at the heavy, metal door leading to the port side of the helicarrier. They were greeted by SHIELD techs donned in full oxygen masks shooting fire extinguishers and covering from any rogue sparks falling from fallen wires.

From what they could see, the engine of the helicarrier was completely dead. A large chunk of the portside had been torn off completely, the remaining turbines and the high altitude made it a little difficult to navigate their way to the edge of the helicarrier.

Vera felt bad for the agents on board, who were scrambling around trying to make the best out of a bad situation, however they could do nothing but try to extinguish fires and avoid any altercations involving the assailants of the ship.

Both Steve and Vera held onto a nearby ladder for stability as Steve leaned overboard slightly, trying to find Stark. Steve attempted to avoid the burning edges of the helicarrier, whereas Vera was unaware of the fires running rampant around her hands and feet.

"Stark? We're here!" Steve yelled, hoping to catch a glimpse of the philanthropist.

"Good." Stark said bluntly before he appeared in front of them. "Let's see what we got."

Tony flew closer to the edges of the helicarrier, hovering near the damaged engine, inspecting the damages thoroughly, and observing the layouts of the engine on the viewscreen within his suit.

"I gotta get this superconducting cooling system back online before I can access the rotors and work on dislodging the debris" Stark muttered to himself.

From where Steve and Vera stood, they watched as Stark began pulling on the rotors of the engine before looking at the two of them.

"I need you to get to that engine control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position." He finished before turning back to the rotors in front of him.

Tony flew into the giant cooling conductors. For a moment, Vera was worried for his safety. She was pulled out of her own thoughts by Steve, who grabbed onto her hand and pulled her in the direction of the control panel, narrowly jumping over broken railings and dodging lingering SHIELD techs.

Upon arrival, Vera opened the door to the control panel, staring at the maze of orange and red wires and motherboards, tracing a finger over the connecting wires. She knew from previous experiences what they were and how they worked, Steve, however looked at the circuits over Vera's shoulder. Yet all she could admire was the look of sheer determination written across his face.

Vera could feel the heat radiating from his body, highlighting the close proximity between them. She could feel her heart race slightly at the thought.

"What's it look like in there?" Vera jumped slightly at the interruption over her earpiece.

"It seems to run on some form of electricity." Steve panted as he continued to stare at the abundance of blinking lights in front of them.

"Well, you're not wrong." Vera sighed as she too kept her eyes on the red and orange hues of the circuits ahead of her, trying to slow down her erratic heartbeat.

" Vera sighed as she too kept her eyes on the red and orange hues of the circuits ahead of her, trying to slow down her erratic heartbeat