chapter 15: who let the demigods out

weirdly enough, wattpad was acting up when i tried to post this? so in the case that i'm unable to post more chapters please check this story out on my ao3 LMAO

***

"Hm," Pomegranate says while watching Orange being carried off. "I am surprised she managed to go this far without something happening."

"Haha, yeah..." Licorice laughs nervously, clutching his staff to his chest. "I mean! It's not all bad! Those guys will now lead us and Dark Enchantress to your brother's house!"

"I am glad there is at least some silver lining," Pomegranate sighs. "Alright, let us go — wait, what did you say about Master?"

"The tracker! I put it on her so that she'll know where the Cookies are congregating!" Licorices explains proudly, puffing out his chest. "Bet you didn't think I could pull that off, huh?"

Dark Enchantress. At her brother's house. "Oh, no..." Pomegranate breathes, voice starting as a hush. "No. No, no, no, no, no, no no! What the hell have you done?!" Pomegranate whirls around with blazing eyes, piercing right into Licorice's face. "You were only supposed to let us track the girl! Now she — now Master will know!"

"Eh — huh?" Licorice blinks. "Is-Is that bad? Wait, why are you getting all worked up over this? I did a good thing! She can help us now!"

"You weren't supposed to let her know where he is!" Pomegranate snaps, striding angrily towards Licorice, who lets out an eep! as her shadow casts over his form. "Call off the tracker!"

"I can't! I can't!" Licorice screeches, scrambling backwards in panic. "Not when we're this far away!"

"You cannot?" Pomegranate scoffs, glowering. "Something so simple as drawing back a spell?"

Licorice trips on a bump in the field during his scramble and squeaks in surprise, now reduced to rapidly shuffling across the grass on his rear end, all the while Pomegranate approaches with increasing malice. "My range doesn't work from here, okay!? You can't tell me your spells work from afar either!"

Concentrating her glare, Pomegranate raises her mirror staff, to which Licorice screeches again and covers his face with his hands. "YOU CAN'T HURT ME! M-Master will put me back together! And you'll be punished if you use your magic against me!"

"Is that so?" Pomegranate drawls, lowering the mirror. "Then it seems like I will have to use another method."

"What do you mean by th — HEY, STOP ROLLING UP YOUR SLEEVES! Wait, wait, wait, wait! We can still catch them if we leave now! They won't even notice if we just tag along behind them!"

"I hope you are correct," Pomegranate says coldly, tugging her sleeve back over her hands. "Let us leave now."

As she turns to follow the other Cookies, Pomegranate hears Licorice mumbling curses behind her ("Fucking overreacting asshole...") as he summons a tracking servant. Under normal circumstances, she would have shot him a harsh glare, but maybe she deserves it a little this time. She did blow up a bit more than she expected, but it was for good reason. After all, she cannot let Dark Enchantress capture her brother... huh.

It is then Pomegranate realizes she is not quite certain why she is so protective of her brother. He is a traitor — a coward who turned his back on Darkness, no less — yet she still grimaces when imagining what Dark Enchantress may do once she gets her hands on him. She will reclaim her lent power, that is a given, but Dark Enchantress has never been quite merciful to those who oppose her. Her brother will at best be stripped of his power and thrown aside, and at worst... Well, Pomegranate doesn't even want to imagine the possibilities.