Potential Best Friend

Chapter 3

Joshua Dun's POV:

I liked Nessa already. She was very cooperative with the customers and she was very hardworking, even if it was only her first day. Business was slow as usual, so we decided to go get some lunch. We shut off all the signs and pulled the gates over the windows momentarily. I walked down the street with her, talking to her and getting to know her a little bit. I learned that she moved here from Louisiana, which explained the slight southern accent she had.

She claimed that she didn't have an accent, but I did. I just laughed and shrugged. I wasn't really sure if we had accents. Obviously, people who have accents can't tell that they have one, but can tell other people do. Anyways, moving on.

She's going to college to study music and art and she's very charismatic. I like her. She's cool. We reached where we were going to lunch, which was Taco Bell. I held the door open for her and she di d a mock curtsey before walking in the building. I walked up to the front counter and over to the cashier. "Welcome to Taco Bell, what wou-.. oh hey, Josh!" The cashier happened to be my best friend, Tyler. I went here for lunch almost everyday. Tyler smiled at Nessa. "Hey, Vanessa. Long time no see," he chuckled. Nessa nodded and smiled at him. "I didn't know you worked here." "I didn't know you worked for Josh," Tyler smiled.

"How do you guys know each other?" I asked. "She moved in to the apartment next to me while we were on tour, dude. She's pretty unlit," Tyler said, smiling. "Unlit?" Vanessa asked, tilting her head to the side. "Inside joke," Tyler and I said at the same time. We laughed and I ordered what I usually get for myself. "And what does Nessa want?" I asked her, turning to look at her. "Nessa wants a Crunchwrap Supreme with extra sour cream," she said, giggling as she spoke in the third person and rhymed at the same time.

Tyler laughed softly and I handed him the money for the food. "Keep the change, you'll need it," I said, jokingly, and he stuck his tongue out at me, making Nessa giggle.

We got out food and sat at a table, Tyler joining us on his lunch break. "Do you ever get tired of eating the same food every day?" Nessa asked Tyler as he shoved a taco in his mouth. Tyler laughed and shook his head. "This is all we eat while we're on tour." "That, and pizza," I added, earning an nod from Ty. "What do you guys mean by "tour"?" Nessa asked, taking a bite of her food.

"You sure do ask a lot of questions," Tyler said, and Nessa rolled her eyes. "Shush, you noob," she said, and he laughed. I have a feeling they're gonna be fast friends. "We're in a small band. I mean, we're big enough to be on Fueled by Ramen, but we're still pretty small. We just really do local shows and small tours," I explained. Nessa nodded and smiled. "I'd love to come to one of your shows. I bet you guys are great," she smiled, taking another bite of her taco. "We're really not," Tyler said. "I smell bullshit!" she said, pointing at him. He held his hands up in mock surrender and laughed. "You guys got signed to Fueled by Ramen. The same record label that signed Panic! at the Disco and Fall Out Boy. You guys are probably fantastic."

Tyler and I laughed and smiled at her. "We'd love for you to come to one of our shows, Nessa. That'd be sick," I grinned. Nessa giggled and nodded, finishing her taco and leaning back in her chair. We sat there and talked to Tyler for a little while longer before getting up and heading back to the store with Vanessa.

When we got back to the shop, there was a girl standing by the door, who I recognized to be my little sister once we got closer. "Amelia!" I shouted and she turned around, smiling. "Joshy! You're home!" she grinned, running over to me and hugging me. I smiled and picked her up, holding her close. "How was school?" My sister was only sixteen and she was already smarter than me. And she definitely got my mom's looks; she's flipping gorgeous. "Eh, same old same old. I aced my trig test!" Amelia said excitedly, jumping up and down. She looked over at Vanessa and waved. "Hi! I've never seen you around before. I'm Amelia." Nessa giggled and smiled, looking at me then at Amelia again. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Vanessa. Please, call me Nessa though," she introduced herself and I smiled.

We all sat in the shop, Nessa helping one or two people that came in and that was about it. We closed up at ten o'clock like we always did and Nessa and I parted ways walking home.