Chapter 3:

PREPARATIONS

Davina's POV

I sighed as Annabella shuffled us out of the house at 8 in the morning to begin our spa day in preparation for the gala the next day.

"Come on, girls. Pick up the pace," she commanded as she ushered us toward the car.

Her driver opened the door for the three of us, Shy and I shared a look of irritation but slid into the smooth leather interior of the town car. Annabella got in last and then we were off heading toward a spa on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

"You could have at least got a bigger car, mom. You know how I hate being squished against the door," Ashyrah said.

"Sitting in the middle is no picnic either," I said under my breath.

"You two are so ungrateful, sometimes. I swear," she said but didn't look up from her phone.

30 uncomfortable minutes later, we finally arrived at the spa to see two women waiting outside for us.

Annabella rushed out of the car the moment that it came to a complete stop.

"Any clue who that is?" I asked Shy in a whispered voice.

"Elena Hunter, you look fabulous," Annabella cried before Shy could give her answer.

"She's the one helping mom with the gala." Shy said after thinking for a moment.

I thought about it too because the name sounded familiar beyond that. "I think I remember seeing her around the house back when we were little."

Shy nodded.

"Her and mom were really good friends back when the Hunters still lived in New York."

"Penelope, what a lovely young woman you've grown up to be," Annabella said, hugging the second woman. "And you're getting married. You must tell me everything!"

Shy and I slowly made our way over to where the women were standing.

"Is it just you today," Elena asked.

"No. My two good for nothing daughters are dawdling by the car, I assume," Annabella said wryly.

"Thanks mom. Why don't you say how you really feel?" Ashyrah said as we walked up the stairs.

"You know I love all of my children," Annabella said, patting Ashyrah's hand.

Penelope and Ashyrah exchanged awkward hellos while Elena stared at me hard enough that I quickly grew uncomfortable.

"I don't remember you having another baby, Annabella," the woman said, eyes locked on my freckles and gray eyes.

"I didn't. You think I'd look this good still if I had," Annabella said vainly.

The woman laughed a little but kept her eyes on me.

"You look so famaliar," she said, coming closer to circle me.

"Uh, my name is," I started, but Annabella cut me off.

"Do you remember Daniella Wolfram," she asked, quickly taking Elena's arm and leading her into the spa.

"Yes, she was that housekeeper you were so fond of," Elena asked, glancing back at me. "Whatever happened to her? Why do you have her child?"

"Dani was killed when Davina was only 14 and because she didn't have anyone else, Davion and I adopted her and raised her as our own," Annabella explained.

I flinched as she made it sound like I was some unwanted puppy that they took in and sheltered. Shy and Penelope both gave me pitying looks that made me want to puke.