"What did I do to deserve these children of mine," she said as she walked out of the door, slamming it behind her.

"And what did we do to deserve you," Shy called after her. "So, tell me what happened last night," she asked me.

"What's to tell, Shy? Some creeps started following me as I was on my way home from the bakery."

I shrugged really not wanting to think about it anymore.

"I know but... like your mom," he said in a small voice.

I swallowed hard and banished those same thoughts from my mind and instead I changed the subject.

"I ran into this guy with these really intense green eyes and he walked me home. There isn't much to tell," I said shrugging.

"And you didn't even attempt to get his number or anything? I'm disappointed in you," Shy said plopping down next to me.

I rolled my eyes at her.

"Shy I was a little freaked out. If I hadn't run into him anything could have happened to me. My phone had died, and you were gone," I said, my voice shaking slightly as the whole night replayed in my head. "I didn't think about getting his number until I was safe and sound in our apartment and he was long gone," I admitted.

"So, I'm not a total failure," Shy said wiggling her eyebrows at me.

I laughed at her and hit her with the decorative pillow from my end of the couch.

"You are incorrigible," I said with a laugh.

"I just think you need to get laid. I mean it's been like a year since you and Orion broke up and even longer since you did the nasty. When are you going to let me fix you up with someone," she asked pleadingly?

"When you get a boyfriend and stop sleeping with every hot guy that crosses your path," I said laughing but serious at the same time.

It was her turn to roll her eyes and suck her teeth at me. I knew she didn't really have an attitude, that was our little game. I mention her history; she pretends to be offended and then we laugh about it.

"Well, when some billionaire comes and puts a ring on this left hand, I will gladly close down the candy shop," she said getting up to go over to the little bar that was in the corner of the living room.

She poured two glasses of her favorite scotch and brought one over to me.

"Well, when some billionaire comes and puts a ring on this left hand, I'll gladly open up this candy shop," I said spinning her words back at her.

We stared at each other for a moment. Then we both burst out laughing. We clinked our glasses together and finished the amber liquid in one gulp just as we'd been doing since we were 14 and my real mom died.

"I am really glad you're okay, Jac," she said and threw her arms around me.

I hugged her back, squeezing her tightly.

"Me too," I said. "And you never know, with all the rich families at gala, you may find a rich man," I said.

"I don't see why this year is different," Shy said crossing her arms over her almost nonexistent chest.

"Well, this year mom was working with a woman named Elena Hunter from the London Chapter," I said absently remembering something I'd read in the invitation. "Maybe you'll find a sexy British man to wife you up."

"Here's hoping. So, how's working at the bakery," she asked.

No one in my adoptive family liked the fact that I worked in a bakery. Customer service was beneath anyone with the Maicos name, but I really loved to bake. Baking for people made me happy and reminded me of my mom so eventually they stopped pressing the issue for me to go to law school. Well, maybe one day.